Marjins Þridus

https://marjaerwin.dreamwidth.org/122031.html

Holocaust or Pogrom wave?

Mass anti-immigrant raids scheduled for Sunday.

With my disabilities, I don’t know what I can do about this. I am unable to travel to protests, or to religious groups, or most other foci for activism. I could easily get sick from noise, police-car lights, and so on.

There’s a lot in common with the early Holocaust: organized state violence, concentration camps, etc.

But some of it echoes parts of the Pogrom wave during the Russian and Ukrainian Civil Wars: disorganized state policy, encouraaing the violence with some statements and discouraging it with others. The Trump admin probably wouldn’t protect a Semesenko yet. But Trump pardoned Arpaio and appeals to white nationalists. The far-right media sows a lot of the seeds for the Squirrel Hill Massacre, the Christchurch Massacre, the Portland Murders, the Olathe Murder, the Charlottesville Murder, etc.

Fortunately, it’s nowhere near 30,000 to 60,000 dead. May it never get there.

4 Likes

Today, I warned my friends and a lot of strangers here in TJ about what was coming, and how this differs from previous localized raids. I hope I helped some people.

5 Likes

I’ve been feeling especially sick, on and off, don’t know why.

My mom got me a heart rate checker to help with pacing. I’m getting some spikes going to the grocery store. Maybe I’m getting sick from trying to be helpful.

I’ve got so much I want to write, but can’t because I keep getting too sick.

Anything that could help?

I may cross-post to r/cfs

3 Likes

Heart rate spikes could be hydration related.

Are you drinking enough water?

1 Like

I have no idea, and I have no idea how to find out.

Standard advice is to drink until you’re not thirsty, but I’m always thirsty, and I get awful headaches if I try to drink enough to stop being thirsty, and end up pissing more than a couple liters per day that way.

2 Likes

I haven’t been cycling hormones. I have sometimes been skipping doses due to my medical issues, trouble finding a gynecologist, etc. But just looking at the last few months, I seem to have a lot more migraines in the 2nd half of each month.

2 Likes

Thread Reader isn’t letting me read that.

Here’s the original thread on Twitter:

2 Likes
1 Like

I think pogrom, but the distinction isn’t the most important factor to focus on right now. Making sure it doesn’t go any further and instead is beaten back fully…that’s our challenge to meet right now.

1 Like

Can you add a tablespoon of sugar and a quarter-teaspoon of salt to a liter of water and drink that instead? It’s a homemade version of oral rehydration, which works better than water alone.

Consider replying to more people

You’ve already replied 3 times to @MarjaE in this particular topic.

Have you considered replying to other people in the discussion, too? A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives.

That’s because it’s HER THREAD, of course.

4 Likes

Thank you. I hadn’t considered that. I have a lot of trouble figuring out how much to drink jah how often.

4 Likes

The new Firefox claims to have “plus all the knowledge you need to protect yourself online.”

Where is all this knowledge?

support.mozilla.org keeps flashing on Firefox as pages load.

I am photosensitive and have not been able to protect myself from Firefox’s default settings, or from many web sites. I would really like to be able to protect myself.

support.mozilla.org’s main accessibility article does not address my accessibility and safety needs, though it does address some others:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/accessibility-features-firefox-make-firefox-and-we

Searching for “photosensitive”

“We couldn’t find any results for photosensitive in English. Maybe one of these articles will be helpful?”

I worked out a partial list of fixes here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1540174

and here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/comments/a46slw/i_have_a_seizure_disorder_and_i_need_to_learn_how/ebc3z9s/

I mostly use both Waterfox and Firefox with numerous accessibility fixes, but still get very sick when hit with certain types of animation.

https://marjaerwin.dreamwidth.org/122296.html

2 Likes
3 Likes

“O Estrogen! Can one renounce thee? once having felt thy generous flame?”

1 Like

I have to take an estrogen blocker, and I learned from a friend to take it before bedtime. It makes me too, shall we say, aggressive if I take it during the day. Makes me realize how hormonal men are!

4 Likes

Yes, it’s racist

Slavery and genocide against black people, Jewish people, Rroma people, Rohingya people, various American Indian peoples, and so on, are all racist.

If your definition can’t include this violence, and similar violence, change your definition!

“It’s not racist, because Muslims/immigrants/etc. are not a race” fails that test. Or similar claims that it’s not racist if it’s not about biological categories. But biologically, we’re all Homo sapiens sapiens, and there are no coherent racial groupings within Homo sapiens sapiens. For example, black people are not a race either. Now the original Klan and the original Nazis didn’t know that there aren’t coherent racial categories, but they invented their categories out of power structures (such as the one drop rule) and out of pseudohistory (such as the “Aryan race” where early 20th century anthropology suggested Mediterranean, Nordic, and Alpine types, possibly spreading from Central Asia in successive waves). So “only about biological categories” can’t include the above violence.

“love it or leave it” isn’t necessarily racist, but it is a kind of totalitarian nationalism, it’s intended to silence dissent, and it’s cruel to people who are unable to “leave it”… most people, especially disabled people.

“go back where you came from” is definitely xenophobic, and again, it’s cruel to people who have escaped danger and/or found a home and/or just want to live their lives.

“it’s not racism, it’s just capping immigration” is again xenophobic, and cruel.

“it’s not anti-immigrant, it’s just anti-[slur for undocumented immigrants],” is again xenophobic, and cruel.

It’s worth noting that many Jewish refugees were unable to escape Nazi Germany because of immigration restrictions, and hostility towards “illegal immigrants.” For example, the Franks were refused entry to the United States, and settled in the Netherlands.

It’s also worth noting that immigration restrictions in the United States, such as the Chinese Exclusion Act, and the Klan-backed 1924 Immigration Act, have been explicitely racist, and the latter was also explicitely eugenicist. The 1952 and 1965 revisions haven’t been as racist. But xenophobia is no better, And both xenophobia and racism have led to anti-immigrant violence such as the Olathe shooting, the Squirrel Hill massacre, the Christchurch Massacre in New Zealand, deportations, child separation (which is also against the Genocide Convention), and concentration camps.

And whether you call it racism or ethno-nationalism, targeting ethnic minorities is wrong.

https://marjaerwin.dreamwidth.org/122542.html

3 Likes
4 Likes

37.5!

3 Likes