Mathematical jokes

Ο x Per = 8

“I broke up with a girl years ago because of her obsession with counting. I wonder what she’s up to these days…”

5 Likes
6 Likes

I’m not sure the first assertion is obvious. But maybe I’m not the most casual of observers.

1 Like

I thought the same, but maybe it works if you read it as “things you mind” over “things that matter”?

2 Likes

Indeed, they should have been defined first. This is heavy math.

So long as it’s not a surprise tracheotomy, we’re still bordering on math.

…Ok, I suppose even that would fit in topology, but still…

Oddly enough, a marketing email I get that I’ve previously referenced used that same false dichotomy joke on the same day, so now I 'm wondering about provenance…

2 Likes

To treat my Crohn’s disease, I once got a box with a label that said “Take one per rectum daily.”

2 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes

I mean, ChatGPT jokes are pretty much mathematical jokes by definition, right?

7 Likes

Reminds me of the short story “Jokester” by Asimov.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Is that a zine or a paperback?

1 Like

It was a short lived pulp magazine along the same lines as Analog or Locus-- I linked to it so you can read “Jokester” (and judge Asimov’s “taste” in jokes).

3 Likes

I remember we had a whole lotta those kinda zines upstairs in our old house in Detroit. Lots of Ellery Queens & Alfred Hitchcock’s Presents, too - still finding those and it’s been over thirty years since we lived there.

I know about his “taste” in jokes just from this title: “The Sensuous Dirty Old Man”. A real asshole around women.

2 Likes

Technically, it’d be the character’s taste. :wink: Though, it is an interesting one in that the character telling the jokes explicitly points out that they seem to be written for older times and how problematic the humor in them is.

3 Likes
5 Likes

3 Likes

Math, how does it work?

2 Likes