Moderation Decisions

I get salty when I get moderated too. But loudly declaring you’re leaving unless the mod team bend to your will… well, let’s just say the only difference at Boing Boing right now is that they have fewer users who will declare they’re leaving.

3 Likes

It really depends on the what the declaration is, and how it’s made.

If it’s “I really don’t want to leave but I can’t stay here unless these issues are resolved”, then it’s a discussion. If it’s “the moderators suck”, then ahaha good luck to you. If it’s “I can’t stay here if Janie Sue is here”, then that’s between you and Janie Sue, resolve it over PM.

If it’s “I am an invaluable member of this community and I am punishing (any or all of you) by withdrawing my splendid visage from your presence” then seriously, don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.

12 Likes

And sometimes, it’s just saying ‘goodbye’ to a community that will be missed.

Indeed, context/tone matters greatly.

9 Likes

Yes, but non-contentious departures have been rare.

At least recently :disappointed_relieved:

9 Likes

@japh is missed dearly

7 Likes

Was his departure contentious?

4 Likes

Nope. He just… Disappeared. JP’s still out walking, he’s just not here or there.

4 Likes

So? He knows where we are. He will be back if he wants to come back.

4 Likes

Well he seemed to poke his head into the question thread 10 days ago.

5 Likes

Really?

18 Likes

robb-jon-hug

15 Likes

I think he checks from time to time, solely to make sure the site isn’t floundering.

9 Likes

tumblr_omkf5gwNDP1u176rno2_500

17 Likes

He seems pretty fishy, but at least someone’s making sure it’s not all going to carp.

11 Likes

Well, this is good. Who am I going to talk shop with otherwise? :wink:

4 Likes

I was talking shop with another maker. I asked what the fretted instrument, what mode was it tuned to.

That is the sort of question that annoys most. The best answer is Fifty Shades of Dorian Grey.

I will see myself out and play some Debussy

5 Likes

As a creative, I know what it takes to be an excellent one. Unfortunately at the ripe young age of 39 my hands tremble. Such is life.

My hearing is great. However I think the moon of me being a first chair soloist has set. That is not, by any means, a stop. Life moves on.

6 Likes

Just finished up The Last Word on the Amazon. This is a really good movie when you need some girl power fever.

5 Likes

I think I’ve been immunized for that, but I’d have to check my records…

4 Likes

That was the name of my punk band in high school in the 80s. We were all guys. But you know: Edgy!

6 Likes