Molesters Being Outed

---->whoosh?

The whole point of the joke, such as it was, is the dysfunctional relations in some societies in PNG. So if they regarded Western society as dysfunctional, what would that say?
Geez sometimes I wonder if people use the /s tag because some other people seem unable to understand irony.

5 Likes

Damn it.

2 Likes

He seems perfect for the Oval Office now.

1 Like

Iā€™m reminded of the claims that Margaret Mead was comprehensively hoaxed by the Western Samoans, and the way she was subsequently defended by some other anthropologists. Itā€™s an interesting chapter in history of science.
It has been suggested that Mead wasnā€™t terribly good at identifying jokes. Is this perhaps a trait of anthropologists?

(I am not an anthropologist. I am not even an apologist for ants.)

7 Likes

I am the original poster AFAIK and I wasnā€™t doing any such thing, but being ironic. Iā€™m not sure that anybody else was in the business of making witty remarks. @chgoliz observed, quite reasonably I thought, that you seemed to have missed the point I was making. It went downhill from there.

Me, Iā€™m just a failed theologian who became a researcher in industrial engineering. Intellectually, I am far below many users of this BBS, probably quite shallow and certainly not up to postgraduate studies in philosophy. Now I just purvey my warped world view with occasional irony. Iā€™m sorry if I started a hare that resulted in your getting annoyed, but the US has many fine publications like The Onion that do the same stuff only much better, and I tend to assume people will recognise it.

5 Likes

Nah, just quit commenting with a chip on your shoulder. OP was making a joke, which you didnā€™t get. chgoliz got it, and I got it, and I imagine many others did too. People from Papua New Guinea, not known for ideal gender relations today, point out our own societal shortcomings in the not-too-distant future, though we consider them the culturally backward sexists today. Itā€™s a joke, and not a terrible one. And thereā€™s no shame in being on a different wavelength. Liz was just surprised you didnā€™t recognize the dissonance as intentional.

11 Likes

ā€œCā€™mon, Yolanda! What is Fonzie like?!ā€

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s unreasonable to hold off until thereā€™s a second accusation. But otherwiseā€¦

2 Likes
6 Likes

And how was Elisabeth Fritzl supposed to be backed up by a second accusation?

Sometimes there are a string of victims. Sometimes thereā€™s just one. Dylan Farrow also comes to mind.

11 Likes

Oh, great, these guys pushing disinformation and attacking journalism:

14 Likes

Because these guys want a pedophile to get elected.

Can we stop pretending the right wing is normal and not just raw unfiltered id?

15 Likes

Now this one I did not see coming:

5 Likes

I totally did. Heā€™s always seemed really creepy to me.

That being said, Iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s any truth to these allegations

3 Likes

the right-wing feels deep in their hearts that a creepy, teen-ager stalking, pedophile is absolutely a better person to vote for senator than any democrat.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Yanno, Iā€™m preeeetty sure MPR didnā€™t take a ā€œburn and salt the earthā€ approach against a white guy who can afford good lawyers, just on the basis of unsubstantiated rumour.

8 Likes

I hope he didnā€™t do it, but it wouldnā€™t surprise me terribly if he did.

3 Likes

Theyā€™re lazy. They want the killer app to make them rich quick, that accomplished they want the secret neuro-linguini-programming to make the masses do/think/be-inactive the way they want; they think culture-jamming is the description of their desired outcome rather than their doom.

Edgelord Oā€™Keefe is just running from the guillotine. He neednā€™t worry. The harder he runs, the closer to the city square he gets and he should maybe worry about what awaits when he gets there. If he thought about consequences heā€™d be a conservative and culture jam for reform rather than his personal ruin.

5 Likes