Molesters Being Outed

At what point do bizzare accusations about his accusers open him to a defamation suit?

9 Likes

When they can afford a better lawyer than he can?

11 Likes

In Capitalist USA, the poor people have the same right to a high priced lawyer that the super rich do. Such a wonderful country.

15 Likes

I donā€™t know about the US, but in the UK you have to have identified a person or persons.

E.g. ā€œchiropractics is bunkā€ - OK
"The board of the British Chiropractic Society know chiropractics is bogus" - resulted in a lawsuit and the first judge decided it could continue because the individuals were identifiable. It was just unfortunate for them that someone got access to their memo telling their members to remove a lot of claims from their websites, thus causing them to lose.

Iā€™m sure Mooreā€™s Lawyer (not the one who checked the 18month/double transistor count claim) checked what he was going to say in advance.

4 Likes

Iā€™d like to that some high priced lawyer, seeing what a slam dunk this case should be, would take on their case pro bono.

6 Likes

IANAL butā€¦it is not a slam dunk case.
He has said he doesnā€™t know any of the people concerned, and he has made what are really fairly vague accusations. Unless he actually comes out and says ā€œPerson X who I do not know and have never met has taken part in advertisementsā€¦ā€ defamation is going to be hard to prove. Especially as I believe itā€™s a State level offense and guess which is more likely to be directing the jury: a white supremacist male chauvinist judge or a modern judge of liberal persuasions? The lawyer who takes it on would be risking his or her career.

Do I believe the allegations against him are false? There are rather a lot. Are they likely to end up in court either way? Remind me again about judicial and legal corruption below federal level in the US.

3 Likes

Aaaaaand now Mario Batali.

2 Likes

Finally one of these guys offers an actual apology.

6 Likes

Sorry. Moving post to correct category.

3 Likes

I think the statute has run out, so unless Moore gets sued for defamation, they wonā€™t end up in court. That said, Iā€™ve gone over his statements more carefully and, yeah, heā€™s been fairly careful, which is a shame. Maybe Trump can mess that up for him. Electionā€™s tomorrowā€¦ hopefully Moore loses and gets to go back to being banned from the local mall.

6 Likes
8 Likes

Itā€™s really hard to believe in a god when certain people are never struck by lightning or swallowed whole by the earth.

14 Likes

Southerners really bring their A game with the creeps.

11 Likes

Holy Fuck

Spoilered for mental health reasons:

Summary

https://twitter.com/ShawnWTVM9/status/941114072380133376

8 Likes
9 Likes

This is what believing women looks like:

We donā€™t expect a third party to recognise whatā€™s going on, every time. We just donā€™t want to be dismissed when it finally comes to light.

11 Likes

Morgan Spurlockā€™s just come clean.

7 Likes

Heā€™s really trying to spin his role as way more passive than it was.

There are people calling for Clarence Thomas to step down.

10 Likes

Fuck that guy and his phony-ass apology. He blamed everyone but himself.

8 Likes

I think what heā€™s saying is kind of interesting. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m buying what heā€™s selling, but heā€™s showing introspection into his own actions and causes of them, imho; but, getting insight and changing your behavior are two different things. Acolholics, as he states he is, are great at selling themselves on a story and selling that story to everyone else. Because itā€™s true! They really believe it.

10 Likes