Molesters Being Outed

There’s also a major push at rehabilitating Franken coming from LibTwitter today.

I hope I’m wrong, but it looks like the momentum is shifting back towards Team Evil. The initial shock has faded, and they’re trying to quietly slither back to business as usual.

6 Likes

Certain factions have been trying to rehab Franken from the start.

To hell with that. I don’t care where someone sits on the political spectrum, if they pull that kind of shit, they don’t deserve to retain their positions of power or influence.

11 Likes

Gotta work, yo. Make that money. Sure, Newscorp is run by scumbags, but that’s endemic, whether an organization is hard scumbag or just generically corporate scumbag.

6 Likes

There’s “corporate scumbag” and there’s “literally incompatible with any sense of morality or decency.”

Sure, you can make that choice and take the devil’s dollar, if that’s what you want to do. I’m just not going to be very sympathetic when it eventually turns out that the devil’s HR department isn’t really that interested in your personal well-being…

8 Likes

You think corporate scumbaggery is compatible with morality and decency?

Ima cogitate on this. Probably not to your favor.

2 Likes

I work for a corporation that provides outsourced services to other corporations. We have a couple of clients that I would feel ethically uncomfortable working with but I have made sure that my manager understands that I won’t work with them and on the whole, I’m comfortable that both my role and the clients that I work with don’t cause net environmental, political or social harm.

That said, no corporation is solely a force for good in the world. If it were, it would be a collectively owned non-profit; the shareholder system itself is inherently designed to shift capital to the ruling classes. Hell, even profit itself is inherently exploitative.

There’s a line between “makes a profit and is part of the capitalist system but otherwise doesn’t go out of its way to be evil” and “exists purely to subvert the political system for the personal enrichment of its shareholders at the expense of literally everyone else on the planet.”

As I have said, colour me unsympathetic that the woman in the linked video has only just realised that as a woman, she’s one of the many minorities that Murdoch is prepared to exploit for profit. My assumption is that right up until the point that became obvious, she was perfectly happy working for Fox because she thought that being rich and white was enough for her to count as Good People in Murdoch’s eyes. Sometimes, learning lessons is hard.

12 Likes

“We understand that our colleagues and the public at large are grappling with what constitutes sexually offensive behavior in the workplace and what consequences are appropriate,” Mr. Baquet added.

Emphasis mine.
Sounds like they’re likening it to catching greased pigs, when it’s really like snatching a piece of sandpaper.

8 Likes
11 Likes

corporations are people, my friend.

6 Likes

Actually Murdoch is willing to exploit majorities for profit, which is why he’s so successful.

Not really. It reflects the fact that something is worth more to someone else than it is to you, and that enables trade to take place. If, say, I was a blacksmith and at the end of shoeing a horse I had exactly the same assets as when I started, why bother? The person who wanted the shoeing benefits (they now have a working horse) but the blacksmith does not.
This was the problem the Soviet Union faced. Without profit as a way of assessing value, it was impossible to assign importance to things. The result was poor quality products at anything beyond primary producer level, and compulsion being necessary to get work done. You can’t plan to meet end user needs and wants when they have no way of indicating to you how they value things.

I’m in favour of worker co-operatives but, so long as there is a market and competition, I see no reason they should not make a profit. That way good ones can grow and bad ones will have to think about their business model.

3 Likes

Incidentally, Damien Green is out in the UK. Mark Steel is good as usual (and note the link text which is snarky itself)

At least over here the party of “family values” finds itself between a rock and a hard place when its politicians turn out to have done nothing actually illegal, but still very embarrassing.

2 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/12/21/breitbart-editor-now-says-he-believed-leigh-corfman-and-thought-roy-moore-was-terrible/?utm_term=.cafbe98f4ef7

I mean, it’s no surprise… just surprising for them to actually admit it.

7 Likes

Breitbart. Not the smartest lot.

11 Likes
6 Likes

Another case of “why the hell did it take so long, didn’t you people see his gross as hell American Apparel ads”?

This is only slightly less surprising than Gene Simmons.

Also, a chaser in case you need it after the other story:

13 Likes
9 Likes

Somehow I doubt her accusations and this are unrelated.

Another reason why women stay silent. Repercussions are often devastating.

18 Likes

It’s a reasuring feeling to know that Alabama is standing up for god-fearing, American family-friendly traditions.

Traditions like firebombing.

13 Likes

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/memphis-mega-church-pastor-admits-he-molested-a-minor-days-before-his-true-love-waits-workshop/amp/

Edit: didn’t one box so:

Screenshot_20180106-071016

14 Likes

In other news, a religion founded by someone who disapproved of churches and paid clergy, has megachurches with highly paid clergy.
You’d almost think Jesus had a clue about human psychology and narcissism, even though he fell prey to it himself.

8 Likes