Molesters Being Outed

My family are nominally Catholic but not terribly Papist, and the general take was, “meh, if she wants to protest the Pope, it’s like protesting any political leader.”

We’ve never truly bought into the whole infallibility thing.

I’m kind of surprised the condemnation was so absolute in some circles.

14 Likes

In ither words, this would be the Book of Kells?

8 Likes
15 Likes

Wow.

I had to double-check to ensure that wasn’t a paraphrase, because “grace” and “disgrace” mean something entirely different in a religious sense than a conventional sense.

If that’s a deliberate word-choice, she’s saying that the Catholic Church has fallen so far as to no longer receive the favour and assistance of God, because of the abuse. Which is a profound condemnation.

18 Likes

Sums it up.

12 Likes

Yeah, but imagine how disgusted you’d have to be as an avowed member of a Catholic monastic order to say that.

That’s the kind of proclamation that started the Reformation.

15 Likes

And courageous? I would hope there are other equally disgusted members of the Catholic clergy, who either haven’t spoken out and/or haven’t had such a visible platform.

9 Likes

It’s so great that all the people who have been raping young people and the people that covered that up for years have courageously gotten together to fix the church’s problem of rape. I wonder what kinds of solutions the molesters and enablers will come up with after they listen to the victims?

13 Likes

One thing I have slowly learned over the last ten years or so is that the Roman Catholic Church has been an ongoing train wreck of oppression and hypocrisy from the get-go.

First, remember there is no Catholic Church, but Catholic churches: Orthodoxes, Coptics, and on. On top of that, the Roman church has had splinter groups all through its history. Some have been integrated into the main church. Some have been declared heretical and crushed. The Protestants are partly notable because they broke from the church and survived.

As for hypocrisy… recall that in Shakespeare’s time a “nunnery” was slang for a brothel. There’s historical reasons for that.

There are a lot of very devout, religious people in the monastic orders, and priests too, who are sick of the crap coming from the Vatican.

14 Likes

Oh, I’m more than aware. Heck, the Pauline Letters show that trying to get heretical elements under control goes back to the very origin of the Church. Although the real abuses probably didn’t start until Constantine made the Church an entity involved in political and secular affairs.

That said, my point is just that there’s a huge difference between a Catholic nun saying, “I am sick of the shit the Catholic Church is pulling,” and “the Catholic Church is no longer blessed by the Grace of God.”

And, again, that may not be the sense of “disgrace” that she was using, but the word “grace” has a very particular meaning in the Catholic Church, so the fact that she used it a second time, is, in my mind, a huge indicator that she used the word deliberately.

9 Likes

No doubt.

This is one of those things it feels like everyone has known about for a very long time, but there just haven’t been any real consequences.

7 Likes

I’m just saying it’s good at least one person in the clergy is speaking out.

4 Likes

:musical_note: I’m singing this song for my sister Sinead
Concerning the god awful mess that she made
When she told them her truth just as hard as she could
Her message profoundly was misunderstood

There’s humans entrusted with guarding our gold
And humans in charge of the saving of souls
And humans responded all over the world
Condemning that bald headed brave little girl

And maybe she’s crazy and maybe she ain’t
But so was Picasso and so were the saints
And she’s never been partial to shackles or chains
She’s too old for breaking and too young to tame

It’s askin’ for trouble to stick out your neck
In terms of a target a big silhouette
But some candles flicker and some candles fade
And some burn as true as my sister Sinead

And maybe she’s crazy and maybe she ain’t
But so was Picasso and so were the saints
And she’s never been partial to shackles or chains
She’s too old for breaking and too young to tame :musical_note:

12 Likes
12 Likes

tw for everything

14 Likes

Isn’t that true about most articles, these days? /smdh

7 Likes

Where do people think comic book villains come from?

13 Likes

But what if the cruelty is the point ? What if the problem isn’t sex, but power? What if the problem is there are far too many people who enjoy cruelty for its own sake, and are using their wealth, power and privilege to evade consequences?

16 Likes
12 Likes
7 Likes