Musical Humor, and/or Humorous Music

. . . is something I love. I’m familiar with a lot of it produced in the last century, but am looking for more, specifically in a more classical (sort of) vein; for example, Anna Russell, Hoffnung, Victor Borge, Flanders & Swann, and P.D.Q Bach. There’s tons of stuff out there of more popular appeal (whom I also enjoy), but I wonder if there are some I’ve missed, especially in recent decades. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

5 Likes
3 Likes

I’m sure I don’t need to mention Gilbert and Sullivan, not only Gilbert’s lyrics but Sir Arthur’s parodies of classical opera.

How about William Bolcom and Joan Morris?

4 Likes

I think we have to add one more:

4 Likes

Spike Jones’ epic:

Historical note — This is presented in four parts because it predates RCA’s adoption of the LP. RCA was at this time promoting their rival technology, the 7” 45. This was sold as a two-45 boxed set.

6 Likes

I’ve not heard of them before – thank you! Hilarious. Despite liking Anna Russell, I’m definitely not an opera fan, but I’ve heard some G&S and have enjoyed it. I wouldn’t know what they’re parodying though – I’d have to read up.

I loved the Kim Un Jun song. And the polka dot shorts really brought tears to my eyes! :joy:

Thank you! I am still laughing. Spike Jones I remember, but haven’t listened to in a long time. I probably haven’t heard all of his stuff, so thanks for the reminder.

4 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

G&S are brilliantly funny, but a modern audience needs some annotation to appreciate all the humour. The lyrics often make fun of prominent persons and trends of the day that would be recognizable to Victorians. I don’t know enough about opera to judge, but here’s what Wikipedia says about The Pirates of Penzance:

The song “Poor Wand’ring One” is Sullivan making fun of arias composed to allow coloratura sopranos to show off their chops.

Of course, lots of G&S is accessible to anyone, especially if it’s as hammy as this:

4 Likes

Joyce Grenfell.

1 Like

The Late, Great Gilda Radner

5 Likes

And of course there is the Weird Al oeuvre

his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/alyankovic

6 Likes

Randy Rainbow’s channel - how does he only have 166K subscribers?

3 Likes
4 Likes

Love that the Muppets are doing some beatboxing; it’s really a new frontier for them to be making all the sounds with their mouths.

3 Likes

Fabulastic, all of this!

My introduction to them on Ed Sullivan a long time ago, with a slightly aged genre of popular music:

3 Likes

Hilarious. Is that a parody of a Dr. Doolittle song?
What a loss. She was so charming and sweet and lovable (though clearly not naive). The audience reaction when she comes on stage is marvelous.

4 Likes

It would be a new frontier for them to make any of the sounds with their mouths. :wink:

5 Likes

My sister used to have her album and I remember her playing this all the time. So naughty! (I was, like, 10, when she got this). I’m not sure if she is parodying any particular song.

@PatRx2 - right? It’s as crazy as a frog bicycling.

4 Likes

Well if we’re going in a more poppy direction …

I assume you’re familiar with They Might Be Giants?

2 Likes