Musical Humor, and/or Humorous Music

Vaguely – their cover of “Baroque Hoedown” (originally by Jean Jacques Perrey and Gershon Kingsley, then used on the Disney World Electric Parade) is on a bonus album from the soundtrack of a documentary of Robert Moog, but that’s all I’ve heard.

2 Likes

Joyce is hilarious – in a very subtle way. I like her version (ha) of “Dancing Cheek To Cheek.” Sort of. :smirk:

1 Like

Awww, that’s so sad! But funny too.

1 Like

This is a bit of challenge. I was listening to Prairie Home Companion in the 80s and there was this couple that sang original humorous songs. One of them was this surreal song which had this as the chorus:

Who am I? Who am I?
I don’t even know.
Who I was, who I was…
Just a week ago
Who Am I? Who am I?
I wiah I wish I knew…
By the way, by the way…
Who the hell are you?

Song also includes a lyric of Walter Cronkite in a field of daffodils.

I had it on a cassette tape which has been lost to the sands of time. I wish I could find the group or the song.

They also had a song about the evolution of English going from modern to the stone age.

3 Likes
5 Likes

TMBG also has some great kid songs.

3 Likes

I found it by Googling some of the lyrics in quotes. Here’s a pdf with the lyrics from the album.

Funny! I occasionally caught PHC here and there. It was so great.

3 Likes

Wow, the music is cool. The lyrics are surreal. Reminds me of some of Bonzo Dog Band.

3 Likes

Love TMBG. I’m on their Dial A Song list. They are from up here and play nearby fairly often. I’d like to go see them sometime.

Edit to add: I did get to see them live at Tipitina’s in New Orleans when I was in college.

5 Likes

Randy’s fabulous. His Stable Genius song is priceless.

3 Likes

Thank God for your Google-Fu!

2 Likes

Devo? Negativland? Mojo Nixon? Lard?

2 Likes

Well, Devo I know, of course, and Negativland I’ve vaguely heard of, but Lard? Mojo Nixon? Nope. I’ve heard of a prog band with lard in the band name, but the full name is File Not Found.

Devo’s really the only “punk” band I like and even they are much, much more than that.

1 Like
4 Likes

Lard Free—that was it.

Gil Scott Heron makes a good point

6 Likes

2 Likes

TMBG’s first “hit” on commercial radio and MTV

5 Likes

Not humorous at all, but one of my favorites.

2 Likes

I hesitated because it’s not like ha ha humorous, but I think he uses humor well to make a serious point.

4 Likes