Musical Humor, and/or Humorous Music

I don’t see that one as being funny. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised, yes. After the Kardashian Pepsi protest march commercial debacle, I was muttering “the revolution will not be brought to you by Coke” a lot.

3 Likes

I love The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. I don’t see that one as particularly funny but I do think he used humor really well in his work. Just not knee slapping humor.

3 Likes
1 Like

This one has a great inside joke - her dad is the late, great Charles Neville.

2 Likes

Obligatory Canadian content.

2 Likes

Obviously our system is incredibly fucked but I just can’t agree with the point of this one! But then I’m into science and stuff . . . even if it costs a lot and seems* to have no apparent use to anyone.

*“Of what use is a newborn babe?”

2 Likes

Holy shit!

1 Like

Not knowing anything about them, I played it with an open mind, and I couldn’t tell if it was supposed to be funny, or if this was just an ill-conceived and basically horrible project. Once the booming drums came in I started laughing!

Fabulous!

2 Likes

LOVE Charmaine Neville. My friend Jen was good friends with Charmaine’s tour manager, and guess who played her wedding??? It was AMAZING.

2 Likes

That was hilarious! Youtube suggested another thing by them, so I listened. It was just a monolog not a song but it was incredibly funny.

1 Like

Wow! Music itself was just great. Did they play the keyhole song I wonder? It would be a kind of message to the groom . . . .

2 Likes

Exactly. They’re just close enough to be real. Every album was put together as if they were real people with an elite following.

They made a number of albums but they’re a bit obscure these days.

One of their later tracks, for example:

1 Like

Here’s another song.

For our foreign friends, May 24th weekend is a Canadian public holiday, generally considered the start of summer or getting close to it. It became a holiday in 1845 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s birthday, and we aren’t inclined to give up a good holiday.

Also known as May Two-Four Weekend. This is a two-four.

2 Likes

Just for clarification for non-Canadians, it’s always the second-last Monday of May. So, if Sunday is May 24, the previous weekend would be the May 24 weekend.

It kinda makes sense that it’s still called that (it’s technically the “Victoria Day weekend,” and Queen Victoria’s birthday was May 24), but the only time the May Two-Four weekend will actually include May 24 is when it’s on a Monday.

2 Likes

The last Monday in May is one of America’s several war day celebrations

Memorial Day speeches became an occasion for veterans, politicians, and ministers to commemorate the Civil War and, at first, to rehash the “atrocities” of the enemy. They mixed religion and celebratory nationalism for the people to make sense of their history in terms of sacrifice for a better nation. People of all religious beliefs joined together and the point was often made that the German and Irish soldiers had become true Americans in the “baptism of blood” on the battlefield.

2 Likes

LOL, but, eventually I think that did happen. I do not remember the exact list but it was amazing AND I got to hang out a bit with Charmaine. Which was just the coolest.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Not Springsteen though… maybe Tim Buckley?

3 Likes

More people should know about Nancy White.

1 Like