Nazis and Holocaust Deniers

6 Likes

WaPo has me firewalled until next month because I’m over my free article limit, but unless he’s doing a canine version of The Producers or Dr. Strangelove, fuck this noise about freedom of speech.

9 Likes

“My girlfriend is always ranting and raving about how cute and adorable her wee dog is,” he said in his Scottish brogue. “And so I thought I would turn him into the least cute thing I could think of, which is a Nazi.”
[…]
“I feel in the long run I didn’t do anything wrong,” he said on Jones’s show. “It was clearly satire. It was clearly a joke. I wasn’t setting out to cause any offense to any people. If anything, I was wanting people to laugh, and just obviously, it was taken the wrong way.”

No, that’s not satire. Satire is when you make a point by hilariously arguing against it. If The Onion wrote an article entitled “Free Speech Advocates: Dogs Should Be Allowed to Give Nazi Salute,” that would be satire. Teaching your girlfriend’s dog the Nazi salute with no other intention than to piss her off is just a childish prank.

And yes, he intended to offend someone. He intended to offend his girlfriend. And I sincerely hope he succeeded well enough to get well and truly dumped.

14 Likes

8 Likes

You know about incognito/private windows, right?

9 Likes

He stressed that he hates “racism in any way shape or form. …

But, you know, not enough to take it seriously.

7 Likes
7 Likes

That makes so much sense. FTA:

many historians adopted what is known as the Sonderweg thesis—the idea that Germany had followed a “special path” in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, different from that of other Western nations.

But wasn’t European colonialism fundamentally racist? (Not a historian here.)

2 Likes

And he knowingly broke the law to do so; unfuck that douchebag.

5 Likes
11 Likes

What the actual fuck.

9 Likes

I’m sure there were bad people on both sides.

3 Likes

In a torchlight circle it depends on how you work the topology.

2 Likes
1 Like

I love Unicorn Riot. I support them financially. They have done outstanding work on this. No real surprise that the cops were coordinating with the neo-Nazis there.

Also, am I the only one who finds the Nazi’s rhetoric amusingly quaint? “The Reds”??? How long ago was it that this was a thing??

7 Likes

And they call themselves a “workers’ party???”

4 Likes

Not a new thing.

(From http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PeoplesRepublicOfTyranny)

10 Likes

Everything old is new again.

The TWP were the Strasserite wing of the modern American Nazis. Heavy emphasis on white working class recruitment, in contrast to the middle/upper-class targeting of Spencer et al.

They were never large in numbers, though; most workers aren’t dumb enough to fall for that shit.

15 Likes
3 Likes

Yes, just like it was the Jews that made people hate them during the Holocaust.

8 Likes