Never Mind The Jubilee

In the interests of fair and balanced reporting they should have a republican in the studio for every sycophant.

4 Likes

A few more pics from Twitter.

4 Likes

Right? How is that difficult? But apparently, being a Republican is a bridge too far in this glorious celebration!

Reminds me how I’m not looking forward to the Fourth of July this year, where I’m sure the patriotism will be pumped up to a million, despite everything being crap in America.

OMG, some of those are creepy, but I have to admit that last one with the queen on the back of a horse made me laugh.

Also, I have to say my favorite Queen Elizabeth story is the one where she scared the shit out of the Saudi King driving him around one of the castle grounds (Balmoral, maybe).

3 Likes

The horse one is awesome.

I think on that particular driving occasion that was also partly because Saudi women are very rarely allowed to drive so that’s the Queen taking the piss good and hard :+1:

(She seems kind of alright as a person; as an institution, though… :grimacing:)

4 Likes

Yeah. True enough. Of course, it’s really hard to hate on an old lady… I remember people being none too pleased with her right after the death of Princes Di, though.

3 Likes

Big family, big problems

:woman_shrugging:t3:

On the other hand, being a billionaire and somehow having literally starving kids happy to wave at you is really fucked up.

Privilege is a helluva drug.

3 Likes

My parents were in London in 1952 during Elizabeth’s coronation. We still have a coronation cup they bought, somewhat like this:

Goodness knows how many were sold at the time.

3 Likes

I first heard “Bohemian Rhapsody” many decades ago and liked it for its originality, but I never really got into them until a few years ago. I guess one’s taste changes with the years.

3 Likes

kimmy-schmidt-word-up

2 Likes

For sure. Almost everybody likes at least one Queen song, even if we end up liking different ones.
That said, as undeniably talented as he was, I like Freddie more for how he stood up for what he believed in; as queer icons go I doubt there is one more deserving of their acclaim.

3 Likes

Indeed!

3 Likes

We Will Rock You getting played at every athletic event in history for about a billion years made me tepid on the song… Plus for 15 years at my daughter’s school for the fun run each year… But they have lots of other great songs.

4 Likes

One of my faves is “I’m Going Slightly Mad.”

I can relate to it.

3 Likes

BTW, I was conceived in London about that time. I have no idea if that was part of the celebration.

3 Likes

Never thought of a national holiday as an aphrodisiac… :thinking:

3 Likes

6 Likes

Well, maybe Valentine’s Day.

Or Fourth of July. Pyrotechnic fireworks may stimulate other kinds.

2 Likes

Don’t blame me, I didn’t vote for her.

:neutral_face:

3 Likes
2 Likes

This whole thing is one long “Weekend at Betty’s”, right?

2 Likes