Not Feminism 101

He retweeted a message of support for nursing women and I went all in. I’m not reposting it because I know some of us have mutual follows, and I am a privacy moderate. But I feel … good. Maybe our collective 11k closest friends will learn something important.

6 Likes

Men are the real victims, dontchaknow?

11 Likes

Ahem.

In other words, we’re learning that fewer boys are learning the study skills required for university.

Given the jock culture, and how nerds are treated in so many high schools, are we that surprised?

14 Likes

It’s hard to pick a single line that stands out as more offensive than the other in that stew of white male tears, but this one is, I think, the one that has me playing the very smallest violin:

For African-Americans, the gender disparities are breathtaking: some 64% of blacks receiving bachelor’s degrees are females. Black male participation in college life is somewhat lower because a shockingly high proportion of teenagers are involved in criminal activity often involving incarceration.

I want to know what editor decided to push Publish on this one.

14 Likes

I think the best editor would be one who goes ahead and publishes, but also publishes a strong, logical rebuttal to the University professor who has evidently abandoned the research skills he’d been taught.

11 Likes

It’s Forbes. QED.

4 Likes

It’s articles like this that make me wonder something I’ve been thinking off and on about since the whole thing blew up – what got lost when Lewinsky’s career (and life) was exploded by this? Not just for her personally, but in the public political sphere. What kind of policy wonk would she have been?

9 Likes

Between this and Canada’s “unfounded” epidemic, is it any wonder calling the cops is viewed as useless?

9 Likes

Thread:

I have seen this my whole life. My dad is, in many ways, a walking example of this. Not in the “bully a stranger” way, but the “had to be bullied into going to the hospital with blood poisoning, severe dehydration, etc.” He was once so dehydrated, that if I hadn’t insisted he drink a sports drink before going in, the doctors didn’t think he would have survived intake, his electrolytes were so low. But he was fine. Just needed to tough it out. I am willing to bet that half my MI issues including the deep shame at having MI are due to dealing with his untreated MI all my life. All because RealMen™ don’t admit to being sick.

14 Likes

I was at a funeral last weekend for a man like that. Don’t get me started.

10 Likes

Thread:

It’s never just once.

12 Likes
8 Likes

I haven’t had a period in four years, and I think I have to never stop breastfeeding, because I’m not sure I’m mentally prepared to have one.

8 Likes

I try to read (incognito mode) from the hateful media sources too, so I can understand where their arguments are coming from.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/11/19/stop-shaming-white-women-for-voting-republican/

This is a good example. Here’s how they define “intersectionality”:

Intersectionality is the idea that a person’s moral authority, his or her value and legitimacy in society, is determined by how oppressed he or she is.

It’s a good reminder than when a right winger using a multi-syllable word with specific meaning, they are probably using a very different definition of the word than what the dictionary would say.

11 Likes

What the actual fuck?

Intersectionality means exactly what it sounds like; when a person is more than one “minority” simultaneously.

14 Likes

Ahem. I’ve seen left-wingers use the exact same definition that right-wing source provided.

I’ll agree with you it’s the wrong definition, but that is very much not just a right-wing thing.

9 Likes

What’s that about? I can understand believing a fake definition because you don’t value the ideas that are part of the process, but why would you believe a fake definition if you (supposedly) do value the concept?

6 Likes

My take is that it comes back to the sports team concept of politics and social justice. So in that metaphor, two feminists might both be feminists, but the feminist who can claim more intersectionality “points” has a letter on her jacket.

And even if you are discussing something that affects everyone – say reproductive rights – even if most of the points are very high-level and general, the people with the lowest amount of “points” are not allowed to talk. At all. Even to agree with a higher-“point” person. And this is only right because if they say anything at all they’re not checking their privilege.

It’s basically like what @MrMonkey was describing. You’re damned for not being active, but doubly damned if you try to be active.

One thing I find interesting is that often it’s people with even fewer “points” than I have acting as the enforcers.

Also, some “points” don’t count – like when the feminist group I used to belong to decided only younger people could act as leaders because the older people had “had their chance”. I got ignored when I pointed out that was exactly what ageism – a feminist issue, after all – was.

15 Likes

Yes, that all makes sense, thanks!

6 Likes

I thought it also meant when an issue might impact multiple groups, simultaneously. Such (for example) as a proposal or rule that is ageist, ableist, and racist, all at once.

But it’s sure as hell not saying if you’re dealing with any of those issues, you have more power. Experience and insight, maybe, but not power.

9 Likes