Not Feminism 101

I was at a funeral last weekend for a man like that. Don’t get me started.

10 Likes

Thread:

It’s never just once.

12 Likes
8 Likes

I haven’t had a period in four years, and I think I have to never stop breastfeeding, because I’m not sure I’m mentally prepared to have one.

8 Likes

I try to read (incognito mode) from the hateful media sources too, so I can understand where their arguments are coming from.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/11/19/stop-shaming-white-women-for-voting-republican/

This is a good example. Here’s how they define “intersectionality”:

Intersectionality is the idea that a person’s moral authority, his or her value and legitimacy in society, is determined by how oppressed he or she is.

It’s a good reminder than when a right winger using a multi-syllable word with specific meaning, they are probably using a very different definition of the word than what the dictionary would say.

11 Likes

What the actual fuck?

Intersectionality means exactly what it sounds like; when a person is more than one “minority” simultaneously.

14 Likes

Ahem. I’ve seen left-wingers use the exact same definition that right-wing source provided.

I’ll agree with you it’s the wrong definition, but that is very much not just a right-wing thing.

9 Likes

What’s that about? I can understand believing a fake definition because you don’t value the ideas that are part of the process, but why would you believe a fake definition if you (supposedly) do value the concept?

6 Likes

My take is that it comes back to the sports team concept of politics and social justice. So in that metaphor, two feminists might both be feminists, but the feminist who can claim more intersectionality “points” has a letter on her jacket.

And even if you are discussing something that affects everyone – say reproductive rights – even if most of the points are very high-level and general, the people with the lowest amount of “points” are not allowed to talk. At all. Even to agree with a higher-“point” person. And this is only right because if they say anything at all they’re not checking their privilege.

It’s basically like what @MrMonkey was describing. You’re damned for not being active, but doubly damned if you try to be active.

One thing I find interesting is that often it’s people with even fewer “points” than I have acting as the enforcers.

Also, some “points” don’t count – like when the feminist group I used to belong to decided only younger people could act as leaders because the older people had “had their chance”. I got ignored when I pointed out that was exactly what ageism – a feminist issue, after all – was.

15 Likes

Yes, that all makes sense, thanks!

6 Likes

I thought it also meant when an issue might impact multiple groups, simultaneously. Such (for example) as a proposal or rule that is ageist, ableist, and racist, all at once.

But it’s sure as hell not saying if you’re dealing with any of those issues, you have more power. Experience and insight, maybe, but not power.

9 Likes

That too.

10 Likes
7 Likes

fucking hell

toxic masculinity and firearm violence go hand in hand. something is critically broken in the american male psyche; the resentment of mediocre men is and always has been channeled into violence against women.

i have no words and i must scream.

fucking hell.

10 Likes

Traditionalist. Falangist. Catholic. Radfem. Anti-SJW. Anti-Mountains. Anti-Feminist. Anti-Marxist. Anti Child Murder. Anti FGM. Pro Life. Anti Femicidal Abortions. Birth Control Kills. Anti LGBT Bathroom and Locker Room use. Race Realist. Gender Critical. Faith Before Fact Before Feels Before Reals.

– “Francoist Pearl”

Well, it’s not feminism.

4 Likes

What is this besides someone I could never hang out with?

And why don’t they like mountains? What’s wrong with mountains?

6 Likes

I also just noticed both radfem and anti feminist. How is that supposed to work?

6 Likes

Because when the army comes to crush minority groups, mountains make that harder. … Honestly my 1st assumption was that they were pro-mountaintop-removal.

I don’t know who this is, but why are actual fascist anti-feminists calling themselves radfems???

4 Likes

I’m a bit confused by “Catholic” and “anti-SJW,” considering that Pope Francis is considered by those who use the term “SJW” to be one.

5 Likes

I don’t consider the pope to be an SJW at all. He’s no more or less radical than mainstream Catholicism, but he puts a good face on it. He and other Catholics care about social justice, but are not Social Justice Warriors ™ in the way it’s usually used. Also, he’s said some really confused and confusing stuff before about homosexuality and feminism, which would horrify any SJW worth their Tumblr account.

7 Likes