Not Feminism 101

I represent that demographic, and can offer my n=1 that it’s totally accurate. I buy for myself, my kids, my friends and neighbors, my kids’ friends, my parents, household needs, etc. etc. There’s no way a young adult (and I have some, and I know how much they spend and where) is a better consumer to court than a mature woman who takes care of everyone in her life.

3 Likes

Women do almost all of the purchasing in a household. I have never understood why we are not courted more. Most men I know do very little shopping compared to women - mostly for electronics. I know a lot of women who do the clothes shopping for their husbands, or men who simply refill clothing items they have previously purchased.

7 Likes

I’m not saying to click on the link, but for the record, this delightful op-ed is very concerned that Hillary is the one ruining Bill’s legacy because of all the nasty stuff (often Bill-related) that is lobbied against her whenever she runs for office. Of course, it also manages to get in lots of digs against Bill, so this really has absolutely nothing to do with caring about a former President’s legacy, and everything to do with that uppity woman.

7 Likes

The Republicans keep Bill and Hillary in the news to deflect from Trump. Is it awful that we have a president who likes to grab women by the p*ssy? Remember when we had another president who liked to smoke cigars? Same same.

Only difference being that Bill and Hillary have done a lot politically to advance women’s rights.

But otherwise, it’s all the same. Right?

11 Likes

BBC America has a show worth watching:

Snatches: Moments From Women’s Lives

It’s a series of short films, adding up to 2 hours, of 8 monologues. Well written, well acted; powerful, thought-provoking. Available on their website and app for free streaming, if you don’t get the channel on your TV.

6 Likes

A story about my PhD granting department just came out. I thought it would be a reckoning, but it was a weak, watery love letter to forcing marginalized groups to save themselves. I’m proud of every student in the article for their advocacy. I’m disappointed they had to.

The article alludes to a substantiated Title IX complaint. My friend was the complaintant. I watched it tear her apart. The process, the laying bare of your secrets. There’s a thought exercise: If, to get into Heaven, you first had to hear every bad thing that has ever been said of you, would you do it? That’s what Title IX is. To be heard, all your wounds will be ripped open. Salt rubbed in. You get to hear people say you asked for it. That they thought you wanted it. That you seemed like you were up for it. That you were a slut. She was ultimately victorious. But she won’t discuss it.

Two years ago, I went to a workshop. At that workshop, I was systematically denied access to a lactation space. At one point, I came back late from pumping, as I had developed horrible impactions that would eventually steal my ability to breastfeed. We were installing software for a tutorial, and mine failed. While I was pumping, the instructor had updated the instructions. I didn’t know - I was using the lactation room! The workshop host rushed me, and occluded my ability to escape. He shouted in my face - “Why didn’t it work for you? What did you do wrong?” I must have reacted, because he took a step back, a deep breath, and stopped yelling.

I held on for a minute, then left the room, and had a panic attack. He triggered my rape trauma. For the high crime of an open source scientific software package not installing right on the first go. He was so angry. I really thought he’d hurt me.

I never reported it. I was too afraid after watching my friend go through Title IX. I was too much of a coward to stop him from doing this to other women. I contacted the abuser recently to explain my side of the story and try to help him see why he was wrong; he hasn’t written back. If I was too cowardly to seek justice, how can I expect him to give it. Hearing about these brave students, I just feel sick. They’ve done so much. Why couldn’t I? I don’t want to email him again. I feel humiliated by his lack of response. This violence he was capable of against me … it doesn’t even rate to him. He feels no need to address it because I’m just some bug under his heel.

I think I need to email him again. I don’t think I can let this drop. And if I don’t hear back, I think I need to request a Title IX statute of limitations waiver.

20 Likes

Who the hell yells at someone over installing software – a famously fraught activity? Sheesh. I’ve been pecking at PHP settings off and on for months now for something because the instructions are so sketchy.

Hang in there and don’t beat yourself up about stuff. It sounds like you’re doing amazing.

9 Likes

He is ignoring you because he doesn’t want an email trail. Can you get a manager involved?

7 Likes

Right? That’s what sort of convinced me the mask slipped and I saw who he really is - who has ever heard of free, open source scientific software installing right the first time?

Unfortunately, we’re both lab heads - i.e., the managers of academia. The only way forward is the police or Title IX.

9 Likes
7 Likes

I signed this. Those of you who are not PhD holding scientists can also sign!

7 Likes

He retweeted a message of support for nursing women and I went all in. I’m not reposting it because I know some of us have mutual follows, and I am a privacy moderate. But I feel … good. Maybe our collective 11k closest friends will learn something important.

6 Likes

Men are the real victims, dontchaknow?

11 Likes

Ahem.

In other words, we’re learning that fewer boys are learning the study skills required for university.

Given the jock culture, and how nerds are treated in so many high schools, are we that surprised?

14 Likes

It’s hard to pick a single line that stands out as more offensive than the other in that stew of white male tears, but this one is, I think, the one that has me playing the very smallest violin:

For African-Americans, the gender disparities are breathtaking: some 64% of blacks receiving bachelor’s degrees are females. Black male participation in college life is somewhat lower because a shockingly high proportion of teenagers are involved in criminal activity often involving incarceration.

I want to know what editor decided to push Publish on this one.

14 Likes

I think the best editor would be one who goes ahead and publishes, but also publishes a strong, logical rebuttal to the University professor who has evidently abandoned the research skills he’d been taught.

11 Likes

It’s Forbes. QED.

4 Likes

It’s articles like this that make me wonder something I’ve been thinking off and on about since the whole thing blew up – what got lost when Lewinsky’s career (and life) was exploded by this? Not just for her personally, but in the public political sphere. What kind of policy wonk would she have been?

9 Likes

Between this and Canada’s “unfounded” epidemic, is it any wonder calling the cops is viewed as useless?

9 Likes

Thread:

I have seen this my whole life. My dad is, in many ways, a walking example of this. Not in the “bully a stranger” way, but the “had to be bullied into going to the hospital with blood poisoning, severe dehydration, etc.” He was once so dehydrated, that if I hadn’t insisted he drink a sports drink before going in, the doctors didn’t think he would have survived intake, his electrolytes were so low. But he was fine. Just needed to tough it out. I am willing to bet that half my MI issues including the deep shame at having MI are due to dealing with his untreated MI all my life. All because RealMen™ don’t admit to being sick.

14 Likes