Not Feminism 101

8 Likes

This is a much better article on the issue than most I’ve seen. As a moderate-income Western woman with access to clean drinking water consistently, it truly is a choice for me to breastfeed. For women in developing nations without access to consistent revenue and water, it isn’t as much, and formula companies act in really predatory ways. They deprive women of choices by pushing formula immediately postpartum, so milk never comes in and women are trapped into paying them for formula and maybe clean water so their babies don’t die. Most articles I’ve seen come from that US/Western Europe perspective and really discounted the need of WHO (which does not stand for Western Health Organization) to protect all children.

11 Likes

The issue has been around for over 40 years, but it needs repeating until the predatory practices stop, especially now that Tяump has, yet again, tried to undermine an attempt to tighten up the guidelines.

7 Likes

Wow! That’s amazing/fucked up! thanks for sharing.

5 Likes

Even though I’ve never done anything as cool as professional gambling, it resonated. I’ve been on loads of dates where if a topic we both had listed on our profiles came up, the guy had. To. Have. The. Superior. Expertise.

And if I mentioned something he didn’t know about, it was automatically, openly disbelieved until proof was provided. Since we were on a date, usually that meant him Googling it after he got home. Then I’d get an email saying, “I looked up X, and yes, it’s true. [insert bunch of stuff I already know here]”.

So I tried just agreeing during dates, but apparently that was being “fake”.

It’s a major reason I gave up on dating.

12 Likes

Indeed! me, too, though not on dates, usually in the context of a conference panel or a discussion on some aspect of history I’ve got some knowledge on.

Yep! Absolutely.

Yep, yep, yep!!! And I can imagine that happening during a date is a real lady boner killer!

It’s like we’re damned if we do, damned if we don’t! I don’t understand why it’s so hard for some men to except that some women are just more experienced/knowledgeable about some things!

11 Likes

What are you folks thinking about this? I can understand her not wanting to participate in the investigation. I disagree that her doing so would have been a case of “an eye for an eye.” That’s kind of dangerous thinking, because it assumes that someone being held responsible for abusing others is the exact same thing as abusing others. It’s not.

8 Likes

I’ve been holding off on this, because I have no idea who any of the people involved are, but this part, yes, I agree with it.

There’s that whole awful “forgiveness” thing out there that really muddies speaking out about abuse. A while lot of people believe you can’t move on until you’ve “forgiven” – preferably publicly – the person who hurt you.

There are also a lot of survivors out there who think that’s completely BS.

14 Likes
7 Likes

People need to get over themselves. Like, yeah, a locker room is such a sexy place. People just want to change clothes.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Our elected state Supreme Court is packed with Republicans. Also, Midland is regressive white people land.

7 Likes

I find it bizarre that Jesse Singal, noted transphobe, enjoys support among feminists. He’s still attacking Ms Burns and Ms Serano. Can we just fire him into the sun? Please?

5 Likes
2 Likes
16 Likes
3 Likes

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/1025400755363012616

13 Likes

And these are just the ones that made the news. I suspect almost every woman has a story about something scary like this.

11 Likes

Thread:

10 Likes

washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2018/08/10/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-is-not-your-manic-pixie-dream-girl

11 Likes