Not Feminism 101

11 Likes

Rory Gilmore is such a bummer, y’all. It’s like the Sherman-Palladinos decided halfway through the series that only rich people are interesting or good. At least today there are more smart, nerdy women on TV and in movies.

8 Likes

Another sort of intersection I guess. We have this right-wing movement that hates women, but its break with reality was also fostered on science denialism. So we get special abuse for women in libeled fields.

On top of, you know, all the pre-existing discrimination and harassment.

10 Likes

Trust me, this article fits here.

2 Likes

Both the title characters are.

I’ve really only watched for the quirky supporting characters, including the random Grant Lee Buffalo singing in every episode.

3 Likes

Sometimes I think the human race deserves to die out :disappointed:

I know, this is the Onion and not real, but…

This surprises me because it’s Sheldon Cooper, and he may be a lot of things, but he does not seem to be a sexual harasser. To me, he seems largely asexual, and is probably the only one of the four main characters whom I do not think is obviously a sexual predator.

But that whole idea of a faculty member being considered too important to fire, and regularly getting away with sexual assault and even physical assault, is one of the reasons why I’m no longer in academia. It is truly a toxic environment. It’s not about shaping young minds or conducting research. It’s about becoming a full professor so you can hire postdocs to write your grants for you and run your labs for you, and you get your name on a couple hundred papers (no joke) just because of who you are, and you can get away with anything because you* bring in a lot of research funding for the university.

*actually your postdocs, but who’s counting?

12 Likes

I like that show for the acting, but I loathe the way they portray the main character as it relates to her job; ‘psychologically damaged’ or not, Camille Preaker sucks as a journalist.

5 Likes

Sheldon Cooper is totally the kind of guy who would demand 10x the evidence from a woman than from a man – or who would claim a woman is genetically less capable of solving such-and-such type of math problem simply because they’re women.

The episode which introduces his twin sister is instructive on the topic.

14 Likes

I will be honest: I don’t know him so well since it would involve watching the show. That Sheldon is painfully misogynist, enough to destroy a research environment, is hard to miss and I liked the Onion’s take from that. But whether they’re referencing harassment the character has done, or only making fun of people like him, I will try to never find out.

If you ever see me enthusing about Big Bang Theory on the Watcha Watchin’ thread, that will be your sign I am being coerced.

11 Likes

Or that you have a CBS-branded phone:

5 Likes

Indeed. Just because he’s not a sexual predator doesn’t mean he’s not over-the-top misogynistic.

I clicked on the link, because I thought that maybe he had actually harassed six people on the show and I was unaware of it. He may have, because I’m not all that familiar with the show, but the article makes no mention of it. The article is basically just making fun of people like him, if “making fun of people like him” means pointing out that full professors get away with all kinds of horrific shit because they are considered too valuable to their departments to get punished.

8 Likes

Another day on the Internet.

SMDH.

10 Likes
10 Likes

TIL that the Asian equivalent of a “Becky” is a “Lu”. Great.

4 Likes

For something a little positive.

20 Likes

And at the intersection of racism and sexism, please read this thread:

12 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2018/08/24/if-trump-had-first-lady-like-hillary-clinton-hed-be-better-shape/?utm_term=.4bf4e5710be9

4 Likes

This isn’t road rage. This is rage rage.

12 Likes

D’Agostino’s bail is now set at $250,000.

Seriously? I mean, I’m all about looser bail conditions as a general principle, but when the crime is going around shooting random people without provocation, I kinda think that’s a good case to remand without bail, for the purpose of public safety.

12 Likes

Agreed. I mean, the guy is a wannabe serial killer who (luckily for his community) happens to be a lousy shot.

12 Likes