Not Feminism 101

So apparently one of the medical case studies behind the weird ectopic pregnancy provisions in the Ohio bill is from 1917.

http://rewire.news/article/2019/05/17/science-fiction-behind-ohio-reps-ban-insurance-ectopic-pregnancy/

13 Likes

12 Likes

That’s seems reasonably in scope for medical studies related to women.

They probably asked for the top 10 and that’s where they got it.

7 Likes

Captain Obvious says:

That was 100+ fucking years ago, LITERALLY.

9 Likes

Thread:

12 Likes

This gets at a concept I’m trying hard to express, but I notice a lot of men seem to be big on the idea of “fairness” and “rules.” And it seems like they use it as a way to manipulate the rules. It’s part of why I have never put a lot of stock in creating community rules versus just being a human being and talking to people about what’s going on with them. This app is a good example. Seems fair on the surface, but it belies that its the men that have the power to abuse the information in their favor. You might think this protects both parties, but it protects the person (male or female) with power in the relationship by giving them plausible deniability.

13 Likes

IMHO this comes back to the whole lack of emotional education/toxic masculinity thing. I’ve noticed it comes up on advice columns as well. Either the man will write in himself, or his partner will, and the columnist inevitably has to try to walk them through using empathy instead of rules logic.

I remember a Dear Prudie where a man learned the boy he’d been father to for the first twelve years of the kid’s life has learned he wasn’t actually the biological father, and it was therefore his position that now that he was divorcing his wife, he wasn’t obliged to keep in contact with the boy. Prudie had to point out that shared DNA and being a dad don’t actually have anything to do with each other, and that from the boy’s point of view the man was certainly his father.

Same thing with dating and romantic relationships, really.

13 Likes

Yes. I guess. I feel like it’s more deliberately manipulative, maybe subconsciously so, and not just a lack of skills. More a preference to use so called neutrality in a kind of akido way against someone else.

I feel like a lot of white supremacists exploit this need for people to be fair to both parties to get a platform.

14 Likes

Oh, when they’re using it it’s deliberately manipulative, I don’t doubt that. Consider an example a co-worker inadvertently provided years ago, when he advised a newlywed in our department to screw up chores on purpose so his wife would give up on him and just do them herself.

Strategy! Screwing up chores means more leisure time!

Except the lack of empathy will ultimately fail, of course. The wife doing more chores while the husband does fewer or none makes for a resentful, exhausted wife. Who will feel less like doing things with her husband – including sex.

Who may become resentful enough that she decides she’s better off without him.

Easy enough to understand if you engage empathy, but if you make “logic” and strategy priority, you’ll always just think of the near term.

And I keep putting “logic” in quotes here because it’s not really logical, in that it won’t really get them what they want. Those apps won’t work because consent can be withdrawn (plus helllooooooooo, talk about killing the mood). And competing against your spouse for who “loses” and has to do a chore is BS – unless you’ve but actually aged to a bet or something.

I agree it’s not just lack of skill. It’s lack of skill plus they don’t realise their preferred alternative is doing harm in both the near and longer term.

13 Likes
11 Likes

Don’t even want to translate this…

Not even worth the rhetorical “How could someone think this was a good idea?”

6 Likes
12 Likes

McSweeney’s nails it, yet again.

My own snark pales in comparison.

8 Likes

Reproductive debt works well in a corrupt, gummit of feudal aristocracy.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Let’s see…do you think they’ll buy “design process is delayed”

6 Likes

Hey, the original master molds for the Canadian $1 coin got “lost in the mail”.

5 Likes

Trigger warnings: lots of them, for violent crime, murder of especially horrible types, infanticide…

If you made it past all that, I’ll point out that thinking of women as innocent victims incapable of violent crime is a feature of patriarchy, not an anomaly. I’m kind of disappointed the subject matter expert interviewed didn’t clue in to that, when she seems so perceptive about so much else.

6 Likes
4 Likes
13 Likes