Not Feminism 101

5 Likes

One of the best replies so far (thread):

11 Likes

That thread feels like it applies to more than just being fat.

Why would [xxx-ism] need [xxx] people to exist in misery? Because [xxx-ism] is a project of significance that allows the people who believe in and benefit from the dominance structure of [xxx] stigma to feel significant, worthy, and like their lives have more meaning.

I could think of a dozen things you could replace [xxx] and [xxx-ism] with and not have to change another word.

11 Likes

Yup. Fatphobia is definitely a prejudice which has nothing to do with health.

10 Likes

Absolutely.

9 Likes

It has been my experience - consistently - in both volunteer and professional environments, that men tens to be universally less capable and more mediocre than women. It is a universal truth, it seems, that women have to work twice as hard as men do in order to gain the same recognition.

Even when we notice this, men still dominate the low, mid, and upper rungs of manglement, to the detriment of company and public health.

6 Likes

This is a well-considered essay, but this is particular stuck out to me:

It’s frustrating that women who want to read literary fiction end up ignoring many of the stories that reflect and explore their own experience just because they’ve been shelved in a different section of the bookstore, but it’s hard not to internalize the implication that women’s fiction isn’t very good or else it would be called literary fiction.

Ehhhhhhh… I agree with it in spirit, but the truth is I’ve been making a point of reading books about women ever since always, and I find a lot of the characters may as well be space aliens (ditto for the male characters). They’re too often several rungs further up the class ladder than I’ll ever be, thinking they’re skint because they have to ask rich Uncle Horace for money again.

If they are working class, they’re suspiciously romanticised.

But still.

2 Likes

Dress codes, unless for safety (this includes emotional safety regarding sexually explicit or harrassing messages) are a form of gatekeeping.

The style or colour of your hair or whether or not you have tattoos does not affect how you can do your job. “Etiquette” and “professional standards” especially around appearance have long been dogwhistles for exclusion (again, rules that are for health, safety and well-being are not in that category).

OTOH, this is an amazing response by Dr. Rivera-Serrano.

14 Likes

Maybe the septuagenarians should just retire, already, so they don’t have to get the vapors every time they go to work, because well qualified professionals with tattoos, unnatural hair color and/or piercings are also present.

14 Likes

“Ohmyjesus. Claire. That man’s skin is black.”

6 Likes

I thought about posting this in the Roundup, but the feminism aspect of the marriage etc. was more of a question for me.

6 Likes

Ugh. Talking the talk is useless if you can’t walk the walk.

waah

8 Likes

It’s impressive how she’s talking about her charity work etc and yet comes across as more clueless than ever. It’s the self-pity, I think. Say that to your friends over a bottle of wine, sure, but public discourse requires a different tack.

10 Likes
12 Likes

A good thing for us all to keep in mind:

12 Likes

US woman trounced Thailand in the world cup… and they are being taken to task for celebrating their 13 goals…

10 Likes

She’s an Olenna, for sure.

I ADORED those stories as a kid.

He’s sexy and smart and unique; yum!

Good for him.

6 Likes

It’s … kinda disturbing watching Sinfest push a worldview where:

• all johns are trans people and all trans people are johns

• the patriarchy supports non-binary identities

• pepper spray isn’t a torture device

2 Likes

I don’t see it being pushed as much as being exposed.

1 Like

Thread:

11 Likes