Not Feminism 101

1 Like

Meanwhile, in the USA…

3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Women who worked in philosophy in the 19th century (and beyond) tend to be ignored and overlooked, despite their very real contributions to their fields of study…

From the article… Clara Zetkin and Rosa Luxemburg

4 Likes

There is an annual international Rosa Luxemburg conference!

I know this because the nephew (in his 40’s, not a kid) of friends of mine is a Luxemburg researcher, has written a number of books on her work, and stayed with me one year when the conference was in the States (he was coming from Germany).

I can’t say how her work fares in relation to other philosophers in academia, but at least I can verify that she is not entirely forgotten!

3 Likes

Absolutely… of the people the author talked about, she is easily the best known figure, though often less for her contribution to Marxist though, and more for her extraordinary life. I suspect, though, that many leftists are more than up on her work than modern philosophers.

3 Likes

I somehow missed this documentary…

3 Likes

My god, this has been fucking depressing…

5 Likes

I’ve been semi-following it. It IS depressing, not just from the boy-girl aspect but from the why the fuck are these people so rich and mentally/emotionally ill? But then again, what do you expect from a guy who idolizes Hunter S. Thompson (too bad Vincent Price didn’t live longer, he’d’ve been a much better mentor)?

As a woman and an artist, I’m sick of the conceived value that being an artist gives one license to behave like an asshole. I have no doubt that there are some out there who exploit their own illnesses to make a buck, which is both pathetic and infuriating. It also makes life worse for people who are trying to tame or abolish their own demons.

I feel closer to Vincent van Gogh than I do to Pablo Picasso, emotionally, but vice-versa artistically.

2 Likes

Word!!! Couldn’t agree more… especially because of the double-standard applied via gender. Women who are “assholes” are treated with far more contempt than men who do the same.

Reminds me of this Modest Mouse song…

2 Likes
1 Like

Pretty much summarizes my thoughts on the Amber Heard/Johnny Depp trial.

3 Likes

I’ve tried to avoid the whole thing as much as possible, but the bread-and-circuses atmosphere surrounding the trial appalls me. People have treated this like a sporting match, taking sides and waving flags, instead of the tragedy of mutual pain and suffering that it is.

(And I can’t understand the Depp-did-no-wrong people. I remember when he was a teen idol, and even back then there was quiet talk about his temper and substance abuse issues. He trashed whole hotel rooms. He said some truly vile things about his ex Vanessa Paradis. Dude’s had issues for a very long time… so to me this seems like two troubled people locked in a toxic relationship. There are no “winners” in that kind of situation, just a tragedy all around.)

7 Likes

People are getting the verdict incorrect, too. It had nothing to do with abuse allegations, but about her article. And both were found liable.

Exactly this.

7 Likes

No comment necessary, really.

4 Likes

And my good friend’s daughter who has endometriosis - we wonder why nothing has changed since her mother dealt with all the same health problems.

6 Likes

Maybe those guys all have endometriosis. You don’t know!

3 Likes

Supercalifragilistic-endometriosis
Even just the sound of it can bring one to psychosis
It’ll give you pains like you will never know, sis,
Supercalifragilistic-endometrioooo-sis!

4 Likes

Oh, IF only!

2 Likes