Not Feminism 101

When my mom had an oophorectomy in 1962, her left ovary, they called it a “chocolate cyst”. I talked to one of my OB/GYNs about it and was told it was more than likely endometriosis.

I’m guess that’s why she had four of her miscarriages, in the 1950s. Because the fifth and last one was due to being given the Pill to treat her bleeding, when they didn’t even fucking bother doing a pregnancy test.

If my mom had been properly treated, I might not be here (or I might be here in a different and older body, who the hell knows?), but SHE wouldn’t have to’ve gone through all that. Which would’ve made her, I’m presuming, a less-depressed person, at the very least.

I have the same thing, but it doesn’t bother me as much since I stopped being fertile. But when I was…it’s the kinda pain you WISH on your worst enemy.

4 Likes

My mother went through quite a few doctors in search of help for her problems–which lasted for years– only to get told “it’s all in her head.” When I was thirteen or so, she had an exploratory surgery, which found a ton of endometriosis and fibroid tumors. It was so bad that the doctors and my father elected to do a complete hysterectomy. (I still remember one of them coming out in the middle of the operation to consult with him.) That caused its own set of problems, since she immediately went into menopause in her mid-30s.

I know she would have been a much healthier, happier, and less-depressed person if she’d only had adequate support from doctors. Even though she’s passed, it still hurts to know she went through so much pain that she never should have had to endure.

Those issues seemed to skip over me, though the family history of early menopause didn’t. (I’m already done at 50.)

Our medical system has a lot to answer for.

4 Likes

I’ve gotten to the point where I am completely tired of not being seen as a person in almost every aspect of my life.

4 Likes

It’s okay to be athletic but you must meet the standards of masculine approval in regards to appearance and performance; and you can never EVER outdo a man in anything to do with athletics and truly make a living at it.

And it’s a Bridget-&-Mary-Jo riff!

2 Likes

An odd, rambling fever dream to encourage the consumption of dairy products. I think.

2 Likes

Well, yeah, they were killing 2 birds with one milk bottle.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Not surprising. Humans seem to be stuck in a cycle of plain ol’ nastiness ATM.

1 Like

Dedicated Nazi to the end, in 1999.

1 Like
2 Likes

And the humidifier they speak up is probably a vaporizer.

1 Like

The island has some of the strictest laws in Europe when it comes to abortion: terminating a pregnancy is completely illegal, including when the foetus has no chances of survival.

3 Likes

Y’know…why couldn’t they refer to her in headline as who she is - Olivia Harrison? One could find out who her late husband was in the body of the article. Yes, it’s minor - but the little things are the most pervasive. Anyhow, it’s good to see another Beatle wife shine independently.

4 Likes
1 Like

In my acting/film production class at MCC, I duplicated the “I’m as mad as hell…!” speech from “Network” and read it in the style of Ms. Carter.

1 Like

Apparently she was actually a right wing type, so I guess that makes her a stellar actor.

2 Likes

Oh definitely!

But she seemed very happy with Hal Holbrook, whom according to Wikipedia:
"Holbrook occasionally criticized the politicization of religion.[45] He was a registered independent, but leaned towards the liberal end of the U.S. political spectrum.[46] He criticized the Republican Party while Barack Obama was in office.[46]

In 2016, he castigated then-Republican candidate Donald Trump for not having “the maturity to run the country”.[14] Holbrook praised Senator Bernie Sanders as the only politician who does not “say what they think might get them elected” and praised his honesty.[47]"

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like