Not Feminism 101

2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

“Due to bad timing, and the unanticipated call for me to climb the wall, my head covering inadvertently came off,” it explained.

The post added that she was on her way back to Iran “alongside the team based on the pre-arranged schedule”.

BBC Persian’s Rana Rahimpour says that to many people the language used in this post looks like it has been written under duress.

Other Iranian women who have competed abroad without wearing a headscarf in the past have said they came under pressure from Iranian authorities to issue similar apologies, she adds. Some of them decided not to go back to Iran.

2 Likes
3 Likes

She was pressured into this confession. They were threatening her brother - it was obvious because they had a press conference with her and her brother was there - but the Iranian people knew what really happened. The swarmed the airport when she arrived back from the competition and they gave her a huge hero’s welcome.
Here’s the video of her being welcomed back.

Yesterday was the 40th day of Jhina Mahsa Amini’s death. It’s traditionally a day to visit the grave. The government blocked road access to her grave but thousands of people got out of their cars and walked over 10 miles to pay their respect.

5 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

It was also the time of the Comstock laws. And these “Christians” (I use scare quotes to be less offensive and give some True Scotsman wiggle room though I really don’t give a fuck about their feelings) want to bring it back. Ohio is the next Bible Belt.

1 Like

Alluding to the current anti-government protests sweeping the country, Ms Qolian writes: "In the fourth year of my imprisonment I can finally hear the footsteps of liberation from all across Iran.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I wonder how many guys in the morality police are being fed crushed glass and benzos by their housekeepers.

4 Likes

Her father previously said that he had not given his consent for the killing.

That is not a sentence that I would have expected to read. It implies that he was asked for consent and just casually said ‘nah’ but didn’t really care enough to do anything about it and later forgave the killer.

Living a lifetime among people like that sounds pretty horrible even before you get to the crime.

4 Likes

Non zero, but fewer than deserve it?

1 Like

This woman is one of my heroines.

3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

That’s how I feel about my own face. If it itches or hurts, I’ll want to do something about that. The headline doesn’t have the whole quote, which I love

“I just don’t give a shit. I think I look rad. I think my face represents who I am. I like it.”

And, I like her face too, it looks like a face that has smiled a lot.

3 Likes