Not Feminism 101

:scream:

It makes the house guest part seem pleasant in comparison.

It’s because they pretend to be smarter than they are.

I don’t consider myself a fanboy or a comic book/graphic novel geek at all. I’m the casual of all casuals. I just watch to kill time and to enjoy the story. I do know this: anyone who claims to know everything there is to know about the latest comic book movie is either full of shit, or pretentious as all get out. They may know a lot, but not literally everything, and they have no say in who gets to call themselves a fan. It’s also no surprise that much of this gatekeeping is based off of race and gender.

I still need to see WW. Stuff has been getting in the way for the past couple of weeks, but hopefully I can see it soon.

14 Likes

My daughter and I have been watching Orphan Black. One of the things we really like about the show is they way they riff on conventional “women’s” jobs like being a nail tech, or a homemaker who is all crafty, and then showing the strength, the creativity that a person who has that background can bring to taking down the conspiracy.

15 Likes

Its just hilarious to me that the film literally opens up a whole new world and possible plots (demi gods don’t age right? maybe Chief is still around!) and they didn’t notice! Because they were speaking Blackfoot and there wasn’t subtitles!
Meanwhile, I slogged through ENDLESS blog posts about the made up language of the Engineers in Prometheus and what David said to them that caused such a violent reaction. So much supposition about languages and what that conversation “really” meant. But you know, aliens are cooler than First Nations right? /eyeroll

I feel that! That my day job is a “break” is not lost on me!
Its a good thing I like these house guests but I think my liver is going to fire me!

Go see it, its a good film!
Very very fun. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Honestly, I just figured he was introducing himself formally (which he might have anyhow) and the Easter Egg part was that yes, she knows New World languages as well.

And the no subtitles part… hey, this is the studio that hired Adam Beach to be a super villain and used him as a red shirt in Suicide Squad. I still haven’t forgiven them for that.

But if Chief got to live and he’s another god… that is seriously awesome.

Now that you’re mentioning it, I haven’t seen anything about WW by male MSM journalists that isn’t off. Ebert.com wisely gave the reviewing job to a woman. The Guardian’s cringy review has been skewered elsewhere. Guys are seeing it and for the most part enjoying it – anyone know of an article in the MSM by a guy that isn’t, you know?

10 Likes

There’s so much goodness in the film. One of the bits I enjoyed was seeing all the Empire troops on the streets on London. I can’t recall anything else I’ve seen that in.

When I was younger (probably late teens) we went to Belgium to try and find a family grave (great uncle, I think) and we went to visit the Menin Gate, where some of the missing soldiers are commemorated. What struck me, aside from the shear volume (over 30,000 names) was how diverse the companies were, people from all parts of the British Empire fighting and dying in a foreign land. This diversity always seems to get whitewashed out of history, so it was nice to see a nod to that.

15 Likes

The reviews seem to be overwhelmingly favorable.

4 Likes

Overall, yes, but there’s been a few. It’s not so much any film is above criticism – there’s already a body of criticism about WW not going far enough on the diversity front, for example – it’s that there have been some reviews in major papers which were notably tone-deaf. That’s why I mentioned the Guardian one, which claimed the line about men being needed for reproduction but not sexual pleasure was “confusing”, was disappointed Diana didn’t somehow convince the entire Allied war conference to immediately listen to her, and called Diana a “smurfette” because she fought alongside men.

There was another one too, which basically complained Diana wasn’t sexy enough.

Both of those are written by men, but what’s odd is they’re pretty much the only major mainstream articles I’ve seen about the film which were written by men, at least the only ones which are getting handed around. Which is odd. That did not happen, for example, on Hidden Figures.

8 Likes

Is it favourable to call Israeli women a “breed unto themselves”?

7 Likes

What the actual fuck?

8 Likes

Hahah, the reviewer at Vulture. Thats a direct quote btw.
His review was sooooo badly received he had to write a rebuttal (aka: doubled down!)

Jezebel has a good take on it.

15 Likes

That is so insanely creepy I can’t even qualify it as good or bad.

4 Likes

Here’s some more context, with confirmation from the actor and further confirmation that the lines were in the script:

It’s a pretty cool touch, even if it never goes anywhere.

10 Likes

True. I was there for part of it, and I came across more than one “commune” which was run by a shifty narcissist with a harem. I’m far from perfect myself but I was at least capable of working out that being expected to wander around topless and have your boobs squeezed by a man in his 30s with a beard didn’t somehow look terribly liberated. [I also realised that my own attraction as a potential recruit was having a well paid job.]

I sometimes think things have got better in the last 20 years, but then sometimes I think that’s because I just don’t know what’s going on.

13 Likes

Just this weekend. A lot of arguing this weekend between folks about if this was a good or bad. The trolls were elated. As I am not in either group and wasn’t there, I have no idea but I would rather see folks working together against all isms.

2 Likes

Pfft. Amateurs.

They fully stopped Toronto’s parade last year and didn’t get up and move until PrideTO acceded to their demands.

Full disclosure: I’m with BLM on this one. No uniformed police marching in Pride. Pride started as a riot against police violence! They can march, just not in uniform.

AND AND THEY DARED TO DO THIS IN A PARADE THAT PM SHINY LOCKS WAS WALKING IN!
Now thats a protest!!

15 Likes

It is better. There is still a fair amount of BS that women have to deal with and it’s not enough, but it is better, especially if you’re a white woman. [quote=“garymon, post:54, topic:598”]
I would rather see folks working together against all isms.
[/quote]

Agreed. There has been plenty of talk about how the there is still a fair amount of racism in some whiter corners of the LBGQT community and there is a fair amount of homophobia in some corners of the black civil rights movement (even today). it helps to remember our intersectionality, and that there are plenty of people who inhabit multiple parts of the various spectrums and that racism or homophobia does nothing but make those people even more invisible.

12 Likes

by stopping their float and asking for a more inclusive pride for black LGBTQ members.
-From the linked article

Ah. That sounds very appropriate to me. [quote=“mindysan33, post:56, topic:598”]
and that there are plenty of people who inhabit multiple parts of the various spectrums and that racism or homophobia does nothing but make those people even more invisible.
[/quote]

^^^^^ This :heart:

12 Likes

I did see one interesting review that was highly critical of WW. But it was from a leftist source, and the critique was based on their perception of the film as pro-militarism and pro-imperialism.

11 Likes

The title of this thread is to progressive as is true feminism is to well-made placards. Just as meaningful, but maybe with fewer Sharpies.

If you want to talk about feminism, then let’s talk about humanism, because that’s what I want to discuss. I subscribe to Margaret Atwood’s view of feminism, which is: “Hey, buddy, can we define our terms?” I expect no special treatment or consideration. I can be just as awful as you because I’m human.

So, fuck it. Let’s treat us all the same.

4 Likes

Freedom from vs freedom to, to invoke a phrase.

2 Likes