Not Feminism 101

Read the whole thread. We can’t let the focus keep getting shifted to “poor, beleaguered men.”

This is how propaganda works: opposing views are “allowed” so long as they’re unreasonable or untenable. Especially when you’ve already got the stereotype firmly planted in people’s minds. Ijeoma Oluo saw through it, but will everyone? Especially someone in more desperate a state, needing a gig?

That’s what is scary.

15 Likes

At my work, bits are plugged and screwed together in a cleanroom. Everyone looks like a hooded white nylon Oompaloompa wearing stylish and multicolored not-a-hardhat-bump-caps. Maybe 80% male on the floor, 60% elsewhere and no place to hang up any cheesecake. We all make fun of the sexual harrassment training, yet there still seems to be some need for it.

8 Likes

You’re overthinking it and making it someone else’s problem? Overthink for yourself.

6 Likes

When I was growing up, I never noticed how much my father favored boys over girls. It was only when he was in his old age that I started to see how extreme it was in him. Of course it had long been a frustration to me that my brother had all kinds of time consuming and money consuming activities - choir from a young age, Boy Scouts - with two trips to Philmont, chamber choir, special SAT prep program. And once I was older than 7, never had any activities at all, despite begging for art lessons.

But there was so much more to it than that, and it was so clear when I got older that this bias was so strong in him, and it made me wonder a lot about how it affected me to be raised with it.

18 Likes

probably true

Saw this on testosterone use:

If they’re not wired for such high testosterone levels, then doesn’t this make them dysphoric and dissociative? @#$#% social pressures.

1 Like

Getting back to to the topic at hand:

Sometimes, I really want to clone that man…

12 Likes

itstrudeau

11 Likes

Canada is so lucky, in some regards.

7 Likes

Hahaha, oh man, do NOT me started on Trudeau and the Liberals!
I’m an NDP girl at heart and I legit bawled my eyes out when Jack Layton died (on my bday no less).
If he’d not passed away of cancer, I really doubt if PM Shiny Locks could have made it this far.

RIP Jack, you were the best, and WAY more feminist than Justin.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic.

And we’ll change the world.

I still can’t read that without crying… haha and now people at work are asking me why I’m crying. LOL
My answer of “Americans” is apparently sufficient!

12 Likes

I meant y’all are “lucky” compared with what we 'Muricans are stuck with.

7 Likes

And we were jealous of you when we had Harper and you had Obama. Did you know Obama has in-laws in Burlington, Ontario? Did you know that, unlike the US, you only need to be a Canadian citizen and not born here to qualify to run for office?

So Obama could now. Become a Canadian citizen and run for office here. Just saying.

17 Likes

19 Likes

Rape tw:

https://theestablishment.co/how-your-brain-could-prevent-you-from-finding-justice-after-rape-17f1bf7fb778

And we had Harper for ELEVEN years!
There’s no term limits here!
And we don’t vote for the PM, only the party!

10 Likes

I have never loved anyone more than I love you after reading this post, with possible exception of when I met Mr. Jilly at a Warren Zevon concert in Oxford, MS at a bar. With this story, you are now up there with Samantha Bee and Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

10 Likes

And Michelle could come over here and be next leader of the Labour Party. I could get alongside MO for PM. (All the old white racists are dying off, it isn’t unthinkable.)

Edit - a quick calculation shows that it’s possible that if a sufficiently large catastrophe hit the British Royal Family it would be possible for Michelle Obama to visit the Palace to announce the formation of a government and to be greeted by Queen Meghan. Look, I’m an old man, I can dream. If we’re going to be taken over by the US - as seems increasingly likely - that’s about the best way it could happen.

6 Likes

Aw, shuck, twern’t nothin! :wink:

6 Likes

But it was very informative.

And you don’t see it nowadays, so there has been progress. Though I suspect the migration has been from calendars to the Internet.
Unfortunately, years ago when I became technical director of my company I was unable to ban those calendars from the R&D department, because they had gone years before. In this country they seemed to disappear from medium and large companies during the 1980s.

3 Likes

This is from last year, but it’s getting linked to again:

I… I can’t even. If it “comes from within”, how did it get within in the first place? None of the things mentioned in the article could possibly be innate.

9 Likes