Not Feminism 101

9 Likes

Replace iconic emblem with an obvious male-ideal feminine version.

Discuss.

1 Like

I mentioned this on my own thread, but should have mentioned it here. This “anti-trafficking” bill could criminalize bad date lists and harm reduction generally:

https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/tobitastic/171396394761

2 Likes

The heels were a dumb decision.

And the facial features are pretty distinctly white Western-European (which, considering it’s a “Black Label,” seems like a wasted opportunity).

Other than that, she reminds me of nothing so much as a monochrome Carmen Sandiego:

But definitely, putting her in foot-injury-boots was not a good idea.

7 Likes

At least they’re cube heels and not stilettos.

7 Likes

More on that bill:

3 Likes

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

She’s over there, kinda slid under the table at that back booth. She always was a light weight.

4 Likes
5 Likes

“12” - I’m 45, which means I’m in that fun phase where it either doesn’t come at all… (Pregnant or Menopause, a game the whole family can play!) or it comes twice in one month with no break in-between. So thats about 20 days straight of bleeding. Gonna guess there’s a lot of perimenopausal ladies in prison in the same boat. So no, 12 is not enough.

Sometimes I just want to stage a bleed-in at the offices of men who try to regulate the blood of our bodies.

Oh, tampons are a luxury are they and have taxes? Lemme me sit on your couch.
I shouldn’t bleed for more than 3 days? Lemme sit in your car.
12 pads a month is enough? Lemme sleep in your bed.

Seriously. Enough already.

18 Likes

American Public Health Association study on whether or not abortion-related medical care is regulated and treated the same or more stringently than any other medical care. Spoiler alert: yes, duh, of course.

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2017.304278

9 Likes

I’m actually relieved. One possibility is doctors eye-rolling and muttering about how maybe you shouldn’t gave got knocked up in the first place. Consider the difficulties overweight people gave getting health issues taken seriously sometimes, or that it takes 8 years on average for a woman with endometriosis to get diagnosis and treatment.

12 Likes
13 Likes

Hugs! I just turned 46, and what used to be predictable and regular as clockwork just isn’t any more, in any way. (Pregnancy’s not a worry of mine, but the guessing game of early?/late?/skipped?/light?/heavy?/pain? makes it tough to be prepared.) And hell no, 12 is never enough. It’s outrageous.

15 Likes

The idea that we could discuss men’s depression and suicide rate independently of sticking it to the ladies when they bring up, for example, being sexually harassed at work, seems to be largely unconsidered.

I want this in the same way I want someone in a Facebook discussion to raise the issue of deaths and injuries on construction sites outside of the context of responding to an article about women asking for pay equity. Workplace safety is really important, but exactly zero studies have shown that universities giving lower salaries to their women faculty members reduces the incidence of hand injuries experienced by machinists.

We could also talk about about boys in education and the struggles they face in a way that doesn’t suggest there are a finite number of spots in grade 11 and girls are tripping boys that the door, running in and taking one of the rationed desks.

Funny, isn’t it, how all these very real issues that yes, we should be discussing have been weaponised to shut down women’s issues. I know sometimes this seems like MRA bullshit (but what about us menz…), but that is her point. The problem is that we only have these conversations not to help men, but to shut up women. This is not a feminism problem. Most feminists would be happy to discuss workplace health and safety or education. But those interested in enforcing the status quo don’t want that. They don’t actually care about these issues. They don’t give a shit about some burger-flipper’s RSI, unless they can use it as an excuse to replace him with a robot.

Or shut down a conversation about sexism (or racism, even if they can spin it) in the workplace, or anywhere else they can whattabout.

13 Likes

And next you’ll tell me right wingers don’t really care about gun violence in Chicago.

Great article.

8 Likes

Thanks for that link. Good read!

4 Likes

Tabatha Southey is a national treasure. I encourage anyone who isn’t familiar with her writing to read some of her other articles.

I miss her column at the Globe and Mail. Moving to Macleans seems like a demotion.

5 Likes

Shit. I thought that was just the Air Force.

3 Likes

The Navy has been having some issues lately…

6 Likes

I have my fingers crossed they chose to disappear, but I know that’s probably wishful thinking.

11 Likes