Not Feminism 101

That comes out on my birthday. Best. Present. Ever.

7 Likes

LOVE her!

6 Likes
16 Likes
9 Likes

Maybe it’s just because it was IWD yesterday, but I got another one today and it got me thinking:

Women in vaguely “sexy” photos are so common in condo ads, at least around here. And I wonder: who are they selling these condos to? A huge part of the GTA condo market is women, especially older women:

I’m nearly certain the advertisers were just thinking “luxury, beautiful” when they chose the photo – it’s hard to tell what that one is wearing, but when you can tell it’s often evening clothes – but it makes me wonder how many women were in the room when the advertisers made their pitch and the clients approved.

10 Likes

Wow! That is not vague. That photo is comparable to those used for phone sex ads and strip club ads.

7 Likes
9 Likes
4 Likes

I can see the article’s point, but what’s this “we” shit?

The whole thing about film star images reminds me of one of my favourite Onion headlines: “Man Who Invested in Cisco is Shocked to Learn They Actually Make Things”.

We keep getting told in the article Lawson is the biggest woman star in Hollywood, yet the proof of that is thin, given how hit-and-miss her projects have been. IMHO more than anything the press needs to remember Lawrence is a film actor, and go from there.

IMHO the biggest woman film actor is probably someone like Lupita Ngoyo – someone who keeps showing up, being amazing, yet somehow the mass media haven’t clued in yet.

14 Likes

Is she seen as a “Cool Girl”? I really don’t know anything about her but it’s a claim the article makes a lot with no supporting evidence so I have to wonder if it’s not just the author.

I saw her on Colbert and she seemed genuine and likable.

3 Likes

That’s up to you to decide, but that’s the claim the author is making. I think the author’s larger point is that categories that women get put into by the culture at large tend to be pretty limiting and restricting and that women in positions like Lawrence have a hard time navigating them without consequences to their careers. I think it’s also about how all hollywood actors have a line between their public and private personas, but women regularly get called out for it.

8 Likes

I’m gonna say this one is a no for you. Lots of CGI that is over the top.

5 Likes
10 Likes

That would explain the Gators, the younger techbros, and a bunch of other crap.

11 Likes

The belief that the young will somehow save us and be less sexist and racist has always been bunk, I think. The ideology of generation conflict is a strong one, though, that many people really seem to cling to.

11 Likes

THANK YOU.

That idea should have died the moment the boomers started getting real jobs – given it didn’t die when the Lost Generation managed to be historically relevant anyhow.

I’m going to paraphrase my favourite lines from Skyfall again: age is no guarantee of wisdom and youth is no guarantee of innovation.

10 Likes

Thread:

12 Likes
6 Likes
14 Likes