Not Feminism 101

Science Mag has this awful habit of posting editorials that aim at being insightful, but then fall off a fucking cliff on their way there. Like, women carrying a higher burden of unpaid labor could be interesting. Women carrying a higher burden for outreach of scientists to the public, could be great. Instead, they published this very vindictive, mean piece of a grad student going after her classmate by name. She will regret having published this, and the editor involved really fell down on the job by giving her a huge platform to air grievances in this way, rather than coaching her to find the broader truths she’s nosing around.

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/bekalectus/status/974857684464828417

10 Likes
8 Likes

Whoa, there. I’m a Gator. Well, not your average Gator. But yes, it did seem to be quite bro-heavy there when I attended, despite a strong Women’s Studies program that often overlapped with other liberal arts programs.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what you’re referring to (it sounds like you’re talking about an educational institution), but I think the reference was to #GamerGate.

7 Likes

At the intersection of racism, sexism and classism:

15 Likes

Ahh, I see. Gaters, not Gators.

Well, as a top party school, UF is quite a bro-fest at times.

8 Likes

Yeah, the -or ending is to make it harder for trolls to find.

7 Likes

At the same intersection…
Thread:

5 Likes

As another UF alum, I also wondered why the Gators were singled out.

4 Likes

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/2018-03-19/early-study-of-male-birth-control-pill-finds-its-safe-and-effective?src=usn_fb

6 Likes
16 Likes

Perfect description is perfect:

5 Likes

Not even close.

“Righteous” means literally “in the right.” It’s basically equivalent to “virtuous.”

The word you’re looking for is “self-righteous,” but that doesn’t fit the backronym.

7 Likes
6 Likes

I’m mixed on what he is doing. On the one hand, he is relabeling abuse as being a “nice guy.” And his language is kind of misogynistic. On the other hand, maybe he is helping change abusive behavior by talking to these so called “nice guys” in language they can relate to and giving them selfish reasons to change how they treat women (you’ll get laid more). So it’s like, yeah, he’s kind of a douche, but he’s treating people who are big douches. So if they can relate to it in a douchey way, then maybe they can become a little less douchey, and hey that’s a win. Right? #winning

5 Likes

Except that from the sounds of things, he’s merely changing the outward expression, not the underlying attitudes.

That is a recipe for disaster.

10 Likes

Been researching abuse and this is just classic stuff where he’s now going to teach people his insights and continue to be an abuser, just now using therapy talk as his weapon of choice.

7 Likes

Ohhh, that’s a good point. So many abusers use therapy talk to gull their victims. “Never mind what I did, let’s talk about why you’re so hostile and won’t do as I say…”

9 Likes
8 Likes