Not Feminism 101

7 Likes

I’m just a guy, but I always figured that if a female really wanted to see my appendage, she would ask. Quandry solved.

18 Likes
13 Likes
11 Likes

http://thefeministletters.com/

3 Likes

… I hit “Hide Fixed Elements” so the site won’t hurt, and it goes blank.

1 Like

And now for something funny:

http://www.feministcurrent.com/2018/04/19/liberal-feminism-reveals-truth-real-empowerment-comes-form-oysters-handbags/

6 Likes

Have you ever considered telling the webmaster of the sites in question this, instead of the poor soul just trying to have a constructive discussion?

4 Likes

I often do that. But it’s frustrating clicking a link in one of these discussions, and finding it hurts, and not being able to find what relates to the rest of the discussion.

1 Like

I’m posting this because it’s the sort of story MRAs love to use to argue against custody standards. To me, it’s more about how patriarchal society doesn’t help anyone. The Harrisons seemed to be all about being mutually supportive, working as a team – something the murderers don’t seem to understand.

2 Likes

You could ask for a summary instead of just complaining. That would keep you in the discussion. We don’t seem to have any blind members around, but if we did, described video would be an option.

4 Likes

Seems a good place for this:

6 Likes
4 Likes

About the Mercury 13 program:
https://www.netflix.com/title/80174436

3 Likes

Great thread tying the Toronto attack with what else has been going on.

10 Likes

Our ridiculous timeline: the one where Teen Vogue and Cosmo are doing some of the best investigative reporting.

14 Likes
9 Likes

First, a disclaimer: the “incels” are misogynist scum, and the acronym that she uses fits them perfectly. It’s far too unwieldy to ever catch on, but factually correct.

That said, I have a pretty decent vocabulary, and I can’t think of a better word than “celibate” (a word that literally translates as “unmarried”) for the sex life of someone like myself who is so painfully shy that I have trouble forming any sort of relationship, let alone a romantic one. “Abstinent” has the same connotations of wilfully giving something up, and “chaste” is closer in definition to “platonic” than to “romantically inclined but not having sex.”

Language is about communication, and “involuntarily celibate” concisely and accurately conveys how these people think about themselves: that they would have sex if they could, but they can’t.

The woman who coined the term didn’t deserve to have it taken from her and twisted into the misogynistic caricature of the original idea that it has become. However, that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t originally a fitting phrase to capture the phenomenon she was describing.

9 Likes

Thread:

Fucking crowdfunded harrassment. Yup, humanity, you’re done now. Time to hand things off to a competent species that won’t so spectacularly fuck up.

10 Likes

I, for one, welcome these new competent overlords.

8 Likes