O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

Oh the water treatment plant. That was make out central for all Tdot teenagers in the 80s and 90s.
My then boyfriend and I were parked down there one night, but we weren’t “doing it” we were playing cribbage, because we were weirdos. Cop car comes through and systematically pulls up beside each parked car and shines a light in their windows. They get to our car and shine the light in for a very long time, eventually they roll down the window and ask us “what are you doing” and we replied “playing cribbage” and held up our hands holding cards and cribbage board. They just laughed and drove away so we continued our game.

It gets filmed a lot. Often as a prison.

10 Likes

I take it they expected to see a different kind of pair.

3 Likes

Hahahaha. Poor Danielle.

Conservatives in Alberta fall into two groups: the stupid ones, and the stupid, racist ones. Now they’re all back where they started again. Not even Preston Manning can save the Alberta conservatives.

5 Likes

That is so wonderfully Canadian. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Palace of Purification? Au contraire. :wink:

It should have been crokinole.

4 Likes

Incidentally, we still don’t know the outcome of the election here in BC, as we are waiting for a recount and a count of absentee ballots in the Courtney-Comox riding.

The difference between the two candidates was nine votes.

Nine. The outcome of that recount will determine if the Liberals gain the slimmest of majorities or are stuck in a minority position with the Greens in the catbird seat.

So the next time I hear someone say they aren’t going to vote because it doesn’t matter… I will say it again: the entire provincial government is hanging on all of nine votes.

9 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this.

Layton, at least, gave you the idea that he knew which party he was a member of. Mulcair couldn’t hold onto those gains, because of a fundamental misunderstanding of that: if you want to convince the little guy you’re going to stand for them, you might want to reconsider kicking of your Federal election campaign with a book signing. That’s the kind of thing Trump would do. And Mulcair didn’t have the corresponding hype machine to get away with it.

I am not saying “don’t have a book” or “don’t sign your book if someone asks” or but most of us are smart enough to know that a signing event is about boosting sales – not good optics when you’re trying to convince people that you’re in it for them, and not just your own profits.

I honestly want to see a Canada with multiple healthy parties, because having a strong left is the only thing that keeps us from sliding too far right, and vice-versa. Mulcair was not the guy the NDP needed. They need someone who can show that they are committed the welfare of the overlooked and underrepresented. Someone who will reach back to those CCF roots and remember what they are supposed to stand for.

And the Conservatives need to rethink their direction, too. I want a strong right, not a rabid, slavering set of anti-intellectual, racist reactionaries.

4 Likes

Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Hey, hey, Goodbye!

Whoo hooo! Two down! (KO’L was the first).

4 Likes

Final resolution: Minority government (first in 65 years) with Greens holding the balance.

4 Likes

Full results, animated:

The irony is of course that the winner now has to stridently oppose any form or runoff or proportional voting.

2 Likes

Everyone in Toronto is talking about this story this morning.

This is the only thing close to “pancakes” on the menu:

CANADIAN 18.
lemon ricotta hotcakes with sour
cherries, ontario maple syrup
and whipped cream

I HAVE QUESTIONS!

a) why is Jaden Smith living in Toronto?
b) why would a vegan order pancakes?
c) does Jaden just not know what ricotta is?
d) WHY IS HE HERE?

8 Likes

My first question was, “Who is Jaden Smith?”. My second was, “Why did I click on that link?”.

Surely he’s heard of whipped cream.

4 Likes

On the radio this morning there was discussion of him perhaps having a lactose allergy (except now that I’ve read the menu description…).

If he’s vegan, though… not so much sympathy. Again, especially with the menu description. Request a vegan version of that and you’re basically inventing a new dish.

As for what he’s doing in Toronto, according to IMDB this project he’s connected to is currently filming:

2 Likes

Noooooooooo

8 Likes

"The nightmare continues…”

10 Likes

Aw FUCK.

We can only hope between his brother and Trump people have learned that’s not such a good idea.

At least this time his opponents know such a disaster is in fact possible.

10 Likes

This is some seriously subtle Canadian shade… do you think 45 will get it?

8 Likes

Words that sound like isolationism fall out of 45’s mouth, and two seconds later, he orders bombs dropped on random brown people on the other side of the planet. Don’t listen to the words or read the tweets, look at the actions - US imperialism and interventionism isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

12 Likes

It’s too long for him to read, and doesn’t consist of unreserved praise for him, so no.

Freeland continues to impress. She’s the right person for Foreign Affairs. I started to read her book, “Plutocrats” recently, but the library term expired before I finished it. I’ll have to pick it up again - it’s worth reading.
https://www.amazon.com/Plutocrats-Rise-Global-Super-Rich-Everyone/dp/1594204098

11 Likes