O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

A friend of mine is from New York State but lives here in the Great White North now. She was visiting her family and bumped her head, and they took her to ER to make sure she didn’t have a concussion.

They wanted to run all these tests on her. She had travel insurance, but didn’t want to spend the time in her vacation when she had a good idea what it was (she works in sports medicine), so she yelled she was only accepting X, Y, Z tests and A, B, C treatment, and anything else would be a lawsuit.

They backed off; she’s fine.

4 Likes

I was in LA with a friend who started having heart palpitations, she works for a travel agent so has good insurance, so we dutifully made our way to the ER where they checked her heart and blood pressure and all sorts of tests. In the end they gave her a xanex and told her it was a panic attack. (so much story here, LOL) - when we got back to Canada the insurance denied to cover it because… we’d taken a taxi to the ER. This is when I learned that you need to call your insurance to find out where they want you to go for medical care, or you cal 911 and you take an ambulance.

TL;DR - always take an ambulance.

4 Likes

Some silliness, but it’s kinda cute:

5 Likes

Polls close in about an hour and a half. Any BC’ers who haven’t voted yet (if there are any reading this), get on it. NOW.

Will update later with results.

6 Likes

New York is out, Anaheim hopefully to follow. :hockey:

4 Likes

Poor Gary. Sorry if I can’t shed any tears. :smile_cat:

2 Likes

It’s not over, yet, but anybody who thinks “it doesn’t matter if I vote”, projections are: NDP 42, Libs 42 Greens 3. (10:28 pm). That’s why you get out and vote.

5 Likes

And so it ends:

Liberal minority that needs to play nice with the Greens. Not entirely unexpected this time. The last riding to report was this one and it was tight the whole way.

So four more years of Christy Clark, but with a tighter leash than she’s used to.

6 Likes

Hrm. At least it’s a minority.

2 Likes

Maybe not even. In the case of a vote of non-confidence, it’s very likely that the Opposition can form a government.

5 Likes

Its so funny, everyone expects BC to be like sooooo liberal, and I’m always like… have you been there? Have you been to Victoria? A shit load of conservative white grandparents drinking tea and voting against you. (see also: outside of any major city-centre, man I wish my urban-bubble was bigger!)

6 Likes

I read that 55.37% of the eligible voters participated. I wonder why the low turnout? A third party’s slice of the popular vote doubled, and now it has three seats in the BC Legislature. If only there were a recent, horrendous, well-known example of what can happen when a smaller percentage of citizens vote in elections for British Columbians to learn from…

4 Likes

I seriously can’t remember the last time two Canadian teams made it to division finals in the same year.

Go Oilers, eh!?

7 Likes

Yup. I’m a Habs fan, but they were rather disappointing this year.

I would like to see the Cup come back to Canada - it hasn’t been here since Montreal last won the Cup… in '93. This is a bit off-putting because we still provide more than our share of the league’s players. Ideally I’d like to see Edmonton vs Ottawa - it will be a tough job for both teams, but within the realm of possibility.

6 Likes

That would be sweet. Back when the Wings moved to the West, Habs became my team of choice in the East. I still have a sweet spot for them, and was also disappointed in this year’s run.

Hell, I’m pretty excited just to see Ottawa make it this far. We’ll see how they fare against whomever wins tonight (it’s gonna be tough for 'em). I’m gonna miss Coach’s Corner tonight because our puck drop is at 7. Boo.

5 Likes

I agree. It will be tough, but Toronto, in their surprisingly plucky run against Washington, exposed some major weaknesses in that team’s defence, and Washington is exposing some of Pittsburgh’s weaknesses (notably a lack of depth), so it remains to be seen if Ottawa can take advantage of these things.

6 Likes

The map says it all, really.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/bc-election-2017/results

There is a lot of resentment to the NDP among farmers, ranchers, and other rural folk because they can’t develop their land thanks to that pesky ALR (ironically, one of the few NDP policies my rural-loving conservative father supports). The Libs have been far more… well… liberal in allowing applications for removal.

For the uninitiated, the ALR is the Agricultural Land Reserve and any land designated within it MUST be used for agriculture purposes (you must show a profit or loss from agriculture related activities) or it is taxed at the highest residential rate available. The idea is to ensure that there is always viable agricultural land available for the future. To many, however, it is a bureaucratic hell that prevents them from using or subdividing their own land.

I find the Greens are an interesting story this election. Weaver is a genuinely intelligent person who knows his stuff on the environment but also knows how business works and that you must play with them if you want to accomplish anything. I don’t think they ever disillusioned themselves that they’d win, but funnily enough they’re now in a good leveraging position and their policies are such that they aren’t diametrically opposed to either the Libs or the NDP.

Yes, welcome to BC where our centrist party is the one led by the environmentalist academic.

7 Likes

Ugh, I just cannot with the Greens. Sooooo man MRA/Libertarians that are drawn to the Greens…

Remember the divorce act kerfuffle? So gross.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2015/08/25/green-party-to-change-anti-feminist-inaccruate-platform.html

The NDP with Charlie Angus tho… thats a real contender! I live in Jack Layton’s old riding, he used to come knock on my door. /sniff - I was shocked to see it turn red last election. But the NDP just didn’t deliver. But Charlie Angus? Oh man. An aging punk rocker who also speaks French? Oh hello! Yes please! LOL - next federal election is gonna be interesting!

4 Likes

See, May and co. don’t impress me as much. Weaver, OTOH, is actually intelligent and knows his stuff.

As for essentially calling Horgan an idiot – you don’t get up on stage for a debate and ask “did you know about this paper” to one of the guys listed in the authors’ section of said paper. Yes, Horgan really did try to envirosplain to Andrew Weaver. Plus, he has not updated since the nineties. The nineties are not remembered fondly by folks around here.

Besides, even though the Greens hold the balance here, they still can’t run the place. Christy was starting to show shades of King Ralphie and she needed a reminder that this is not a coronation every four years and that there is no such thing as a “natural ruling party” in these here parts.

3 Likes

Who’da thunk it that Meatloaf could draw such a crowd!?

7 Likes