O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

OMG so awesome

See, that’s the vibe I got from the firefighter’s interview. If it had been mental health issues, I think he would have been much less jokey about it (and yes, I am well aware of the black humour of first responders). This struck me much more as “poorly planned stunt”. And it seems we were correct, this time.

6 Likes

They were talking on the news about her instagram which is full of “rooftopping” photos.

She was released on $500 bail.

2 Likes

Bonjour tous mes compatriotes,

Just now I have booked my flight to YOW for les festivités sesquicentennial ce juillet.

was that bilingual enough?

I would like to thank the seventy-three cent dollar for making this jaunt more budget-friendly.

Aussi, Go Sens! Go Oilers!

9 Likes

All the nope.

4 Likes

Nothing like an election to bring out the assholery:

http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/news/vancouver/2017/04/27/parties-decry-transphobic-election-fliers-against-mla-candidate.html

4 Likes

Waitaminute…

The Liberals are BC’s right-wing party?

I mean, I know the federal Liberals like to run from the left and govern from the right, but I never thought that I’d see even an unaffiliated branch of the party actually admit it and run from the right.

2 Likes

It’s not the Left Coast for nothing! I mean, did Ontario ever have a Premier with as far-out and groovy a name as "Amor de Cosmos"?

I suspect the B.C. Social Credit Party governments of yore would have led to a similar reaction.

3 Likes

Yup. They’ve even minimised the amount of red in their colour scheme, focusing instead on nice, conservative blue.

Our provincial Libs make the Federal ones liok NDP.

Basically, when the SoCreds1 collapsed, there was a vacuum on the right that the Liberals charged into. And they have happily been there, ever since.

And despite this being hippy-dippy BC, the NDP have a horrible rep with a lot of people, based on their past track record. They are also coming across as hella hypocritical, bitching about the Libs huge donations, while pocketing even bigger ones because the rules allow it (the Greens aren’t as competitive / viable, so they are taking the “high road” on this.

Not to mention that we have large swaths of rural areas (which swing right) and a lot of pro-free market everything (especially big money from Asia) and a pretty strong “Bible belt” in the South Fraser area (TBF not solely Christian, but highly religious and conservative nonetheless), so somebody was going to fill that gap. The Liberals had always been the odd one out in BC politics (with the SoCreds and NDP duking it out), so they grabbed it.

1 BC Social-Credit Party.

7 Likes

Man, I miss Wreck Beach. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Its the trifecta of Canadian head-slap!

1. White oblivious person
  2. Cultural appropriation of First Nations
  3. and she’s from Toronto, because of course she is. /sigh

Seriously, white people, stahp.

6 Likes

OMG. I started listening to the Here&Now interview. She is everything you expect from “clueless white person”. “I am self-taught and just like the style” “I am taking the stories out of the paintings”. That last one left me screaming internally. I have things I must do, so didn’t finish. Besides there’s only so much “I am the real victim here” and “it’s part of my history, too” that I can take before tension headaches set in.

6 Likes

Right? Like OMG! What an entitled brat!

6 Likes

Yeah, but he’d wind up sounding like Harper, and we be all embarrassed again.

1 Like

They are the BC Liberals, no affiliation with the Federal Liberal party.

May end up with Bernier, and we’ll still be embarrassed. What passes for conservatism these days is deeply embarrassing.

2 Likes

That’s what I was saying.

According to Wikipedia, they were affiliated at one point, and then they branched off and broke away, which was what I was trying to convey.

Even if they’ve completely renounced all ties to the Fed Libs, it still surprises me to see them running from the right. Governing from the right, no, but actually running from the right, yes.

2 Likes

So, could a stadium of Americans sing the entire Canadian national Anthem?

:wink:

3 Likes

Depends on where.

If it’s in North Windsor or Florida, the stands are probably full of Canadians or Canadian-Americans anyway.

5 Likes

Holy moly!

The noise… tell me it doesn’t sound like Godzilla?

2 Likes