O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

There’s a lot of 1970s TO still around, no? It’s just sort of buried.

ETA: that would be a great urban explorer theme.

ETA2: IMHO more of the 70s survived than the 80s, at least for street culture.

3 Likes

So much 70s survived because Tdot really embraced brutalist architecture. So many giant poured concrete buildings! Which really is more 60s than 70s but at least we decided to keep it all and not tear t all down.

https://www.amazon.ca/Concrete-Toronto-Architecture-Fifties-Seventies/dp/1552451933

6 Likes

Free concert, free meal. You got to expect a crowd.

:grinning: good point. It’s probably too much effort to tear that stuff down.

1 Like

The Canada Malting Co. silos (built 1928) have been sitting on some very valuable waterfront property for years. and are now designated heritage buildings, but no one seems to know what to do with them.

They were innovative in their day for being made of concrete rather than wood, and so less likely to burn down.

4 Likes

Really, really unique condos. Either that, or put them back to use holding malt - this would be a Good Thing (especially if we can expand some of the industries that use malt ;)).

5 Likes

I think it’s the residual London cyberpunk in me but a city needs that kind of brutalist, functional architecture to really be able to call itself a city.

All glass-and-steel is all very well and good but it feels kinda sterile without some yellow/red brick monstrosities alongside it.

Exhibit A, Battersea Power Station:

One of my favourite buildings in London (England) and right, slam in the middle of the most expensive areas of the city.

It’s now being changed into luxury condos but I hope to all of the gods that they don’t fuck with the basic shape and style…

8 Likes

Toronto is just catching on to the idea that some of that stuff may be worth saving.
Distillery District:

Of course, some Art Deco doesn’t go amiss. This is the R.C. Harris water treatment plant:

10 Likes

That’s beautiful, thanks for sharing

4 Likes

It looks like Alberta’s PCs haven’t learned from the CCRAP debacle.

Merging a centre-right party with a far-right party only gets you an even-farther-right party.

“But we’re splitting the vote” is a weak response. There are two left-wing parties, one in power federally, the other in power in Alberta, so that’s no excuse for why you can’t get elected.

You want to win? Get a better platform, rather than taking away choices for voters who don’t like the Liberals or NDP.

7 Likes

Oh the water treatment plant. That was make out central for all Tdot teenagers in the 80s and 90s.
My then boyfriend and I were parked down there one night, but we weren’t “doing it” we were playing cribbage, because we were weirdos. Cop car comes through and systematically pulls up beside each parked car and shines a light in their windows. They get to our car and shine the light in for a very long time, eventually they roll down the window and ask us “what are you doing” and we replied “playing cribbage” and held up our hands holding cards and cribbage board. They just laughed and drove away so we continued our game.

It gets filmed a lot. Often as a prison.

10 Likes

I take it they expected to see a different kind of pair.

3 Likes

Hahahaha. Poor Danielle.

Conservatives in Alberta fall into two groups: the stupid ones, and the stupid, racist ones. Now they’re all back where they started again. Not even Preston Manning can save the Alberta conservatives.

5 Likes

That is so wonderfully Canadian. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Palace of Purification? Au contraire. :wink:

It should have been crokinole.

4 Likes

Incidentally, we still don’t know the outcome of the election here in BC, as we are waiting for a recount and a count of absentee ballots in the Courtney-Comox riding.

The difference between the two candidates was nine votes.

Nine. The outcome of that recount will determine if the Liberals gain the slimmest of majorities or are stuck in a minority position with the Greens in the catbird seat.

So the next time I hear someone say they aren’t going to vote because it doesn’t matter… I will say it again: the entire provincial government is hanging on all of nine votes.

9 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this.

Layton, at least, gave you the idea that he knew which party he was a member of. Mulcair couldn’t hold onto those gains, because of a fundamental misunderstanding of that: if you want to convince the little guy you’re going to stand for them, you might want to reconsider kicking of your Federal election campaign with a book signing. That’s the kind of thing Trump would do. And Mulcair didn’t have the corresponding hype machine to get away with it.

I am not saying “don’t have a book” or “don’t sign your book if someone asks” or but most of us are smart enough to know that a signing event is about boosting sales – not good optics when you’re trying to convince people that you’re in it for them, and not just your own profits.

I honestly want to see a Canada with multiple healthy parties, because having a strong left is the only thing that keeps us from sliding too far right, and vice-versa. Mulcair was not the guy the NDP needed. They need someone who can show that they are committed the welfare of the overlooked and underrepresented. Someone who will reach back to those CCF roots and remember what they are supposed to stand for.

And the Conservatives need to rethink their direction, too. I want a strong right, not a rabid, slavering set of anti-intellectual, racist reactionaries.

4 Likes

Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Hey, hey, Goodbye!

Whoo hooo! Two down! (KO’L was the first).

4 Likes

Final resolution: Minority government (first in 65 years) with Greens holding the balance.

4 Likes

Full results, animated:

The irony is of course that the winner now has to stridently oppose any form or runoff or proportional voting.

2 Likes