O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

There’s none of it in the book. Seriously, read it, its amazing.

3 Likes

In Toronto news, this totally fucked up my morning commute today.

5 Likes

I like Wonfor’s attitude, though.

4 Likes

Appreciate the push! I’ll have to join the hold queue at the library.

3 Likes

I put this on the morals/self thread because it mentions fjords, but really it belongs here:

5 Likes

I remember hearing about something like this when the whole Rob Ford* crack scandal blew up. Apparently the thuggish older brother who’s still in government ran the hashish distribution operation for his area of town during his high school and college years. Some of the family’s current cronies were also said to be involved and, since they weren’t going into politics, maintained their shady connections to the city’s illegal drug trade.

ETA: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/?page=all

[* he’s dead, you know. Should we start a thread?]

6 Likes

I was watching it on CityTV. The whole thing was handled with impressive professionalism.

3 Likes

And they are small mercies, because this is what’s left for all those who were distracted by Trump-lite

Leitch is the most obviously horrid of the ones remaining: I guarantee her “values test” for immigrants wouldn’t contain ones I recognise as Canadian, except by accident. But the others have their own, more hidden dangers.

What scares me is if Trudeau pisses enough people off… Most of these guys could make Harper seem reasonable by comparison.

5 Likes

I’m amazed she got out there to be honest! She seemed so chill just sitting there swinging her feet. Amazing. I hope she gets the help she needs. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

BC Voter PSA #2: just who the hell am I voting for?

Global TV has a full riding list, including candidates not in the big 3.

You only get one vote. Make it count. The Washington Post is wrong: democracy doesn’t die in darkness but when it drowns in a sea of apathy.

Don’t know if you are eligible? Wondering where you’re supposed to go? See Elections BC for all your voting details from eligibility, ID requirements and voting times and locations.

4 Likes

Charges have been laid :

5 Likes

Called it! This morning on the radio they were assuming she was mentally ill and/or suicidal. I thought it sounded more like urban exploring gone wrong.

4 Likes

Her demeanour during and after the rescue looked more like embarrassment than anything else - head turned away, no eye contact. The reports while the rescue was happening said that police saw her at the top of the crane. She somehow grabbed the cable, not realizing it was greased, and slid 30 feet to the block where she ended up. How she did that without losing her grip or getting injured is a mystery. How she did the climb in two-inch heels is another. :grin:

The older I get, the more it saddens me how readily young people risk their lives for nothing. There have already been deaths from this practice, and no doubt this woman will inspire copycats.

4 Likes

OMG so awesome

See, that’s the vibe I got from the firefighter’s interview. If it had been mental health issues, I think he would have been much less jokey about it (and yes, I am well aware of the black humour of first responders). This struck me much more as “poorly planned stunt”. And it seems we were correct, this time.

6 Likes

They were talking on the news about her instagram which is full of “rooftopping” photos.

She was released on $500 bail.

2 Likes

Bonjour tous mes compatriotes,

Just now I have booked my flight to YOW for les festivités sesquicentennial ce juillet.

was that bilingual enough?

I would like to thank the seventy-three cent dollar for making this jaunt more budget-friendly.

Aussi, Go Sens! Go Oilers!

9 Likes

All the nope.

4 Likes

Nothing like an election to bring out the assholery:

http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/news/vancouver/2017/04/27/parties-decry-transphobic-election-fliers-against-mla-candidate.html

4 Likes

Waitaminute…

The Liberals are BC’s right-wing party?

I mean, I know the federal Liberals like to run from the left and govern from the right, but I never thought that I’d see even an unaffiliated branch of the party actually admit it and run from the right.

2 Likes