O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

Offtopic: the 25px version of your avatar looks like an anime character. Really cool!

2 Likes

Second the ddale8 follow. His bullshit detector is well tuned and he’s entertaining.

7 Likes

So what the hecks going on BC? Hows that election coming? :smiley:

6 Likes

PSA for BC folks. It’s that time again. If you haven’t already, make sure you are registered to vote. Then get out and do it.

Will either plead or double-dog dare, whichever gets people to the polls.

5 Likes

Ninja!

(Please. Any Canadian is at least ten characters, regardless of what they say).

5 Likes

This belongs in here:

Trying to explain the fubar-ed-ness of the private/public school boards in each province (don’t EVEN get me started NFLD why the fuck you put that in your constitution?) to outsiders is hilarious. “So the catholic system is private?” “no, it public, sort of, in Ontario when you’re doing your taxes you tick a box for public or catholic, and thats the board that gets your money”

7 Likes

It is constitutional too, not just in Newf. It’s the system I grew up with in Quebec. I was in the Protestant school board in the West Island; across town (Pointe-Claire), St. Thomas High School was the Catholic high school, and it was effectively two separate schools, one French, one English. Naturally all the Jewish, Muslim and Hindu kids ended up in the Protestant schools (no religious studies, for one).

Quebec has since got smart, I think. Now the split between school boards is purely linguistic. It took a constitutional amendment to get it done, however.

6 Likes

It goes to show the power the catholic church had in the formation of our country eh?

In Ontario we had the “separate” school system. Not specifically catholic cuz we were founded by Anglicans. (All the pomp and none of the guilt?) - seriously the wiki on the separate school system in Ontario is fascinating! Goes back to the colonies and English vs. French stuff! Neat!

Weirdly, we grew up saying the lords prayer every morning after the national anthem. Go secularism! LOL

5 Likes

The Manitoba RCMP and the Vancouver PD are beefing on twitter.

4 Likes

Ten characters and three territories.

6 Likes

This is tangentially related to the kids show thread… but did y’all know that the Hilarious House of Frightenstein was Canadian? And many Americans have never heard of it? Not even dedicated Vincent Price fans?

And I have it on good authority it was NOT aired in NFLD. And it was filmed in Toronto, so it aired in Ontario, and I know it aired in Alberta, who else remembers this one?

5 Likes

I think I recognize this one too. I’m not sure if it got syndicated to the US at some point or if we were watching Windsor TV. (Detroiters can see some Windsor TV over-the-air, though it’s trickier since the digital conversion.)

6 Likes

It didn’t air much in the US because of the all the music rights. Even now you’ll only get bootlegs and the official re-releases had the music cut out! So you just had igor dancing… to silence? It was weird. I would bet you were watching Windsor TV.

I grew up on Buffalo TV. So fair trade. :wink:

5 Likes

We did, too; how close to “South Detroit”, aka Windsor", did you live? As the falcon flies, I was raised about three miles northeast of Lake St. Clair. And when I was a Bluebird, we went to Canada to be on “The Bozo Show”! I didn’t win the six-pack of pop, though, dammit!

5 Likes

The worst thing about growing up close enough to the border that we got TV ads from the US was the goddamn fucking Carvel Icecream ads!

We didn’t have this! We couldn’t get this! This was just cruel!!

9 Likes

Born and raised in the D itself, Southwest neighborhood. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

OOOOOOoooooo…I’m from the southeast side - just north of the GPs.

Are we s’posed to fight or something, LOL?

5 Likes

Aaaargh! I’m patiently waiting form my vote-by-mail package, as I’ll be out of the country on voting day. I am NOT sitting this one out…! Yeesh.

4 Likes

I do, but I did my kidhood in ON, so…

3 Likes

Ha! That was the most astonishing thing to us when we moved from TO to the Niagara region. Buffalo 29! We got THREE channels! :smiley: Monster movies on Sat afternoon…

3 Likes