Olds go nostalgic for the good old days of tech

Isn’t SlingTV still a thing in some streaming channel?

2 Likes
3 Likes

There’s nostalgia, and then there’s history.

7 Likes

CRD is great for this kind of stuff. He does a good job of placing these things in their proper context, and demonstrating them where he can. There were a fair number of these items that I wasn’t previously even aware existed, like the Polaroid Palette.

3 Likes
6 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Olds go nostalgic for the good old days of pinball

The modern version of this is a Switch. I documented one way back in the day. I imagine they are smaller now, but even though electronics in general were smaller at the time, the Switch was the size of 7 refrigerators.

1 Like

Jeeze, that’d be hard to hold.

3 Likes

so this is probably the most appropriate thread to put this in.

this morning while I was still having my coffee, I was replying to an email from my Gmail account. I wrote for the recipient to refer to a picture and went up to click the paperclip icon to attach the picture. I pressed it and everything disappeared.

I went back to the email and it said it was sent.

this is the type of paperclip that I clicked:

skeuomorph fail. I mean, ok, I clicked the wrong thing, but damn, use an airplane icon for “send” if you want, but isn’t using a paper airplane mixing metaphors?

4 Likes
3 Likes

Trash Eighty with a cassette drive. Swanky.

3 Likes

And that’s what we did for fun with computers in the 80’s, children. We didn’t have no Internet.

3 Likes

I remember playing “Star Trek” on the computer with the daisy-wheel printer w/the modem on which one had to place a telephone receiver to communicate with the other party.

This was 1978 or '79, Computer Science class that I took when I started high school. I dropped it, as at 14, I just wasn’t dedicated enough to care.

4 Likes

If you’d like to try the Star Trek game again, The Classic Super Star Trek Game has the latest version, last updated in 2019(!) Still the same text interface, but no teletype or printer needed now.

3 Likes

Thank you! Also, for the word “teletype”, which escaped me.

But I fibbed - I didn’t personally actually play it - I watched someone else play it. I wasn’t up to handling it then, and I’m probably not now, lol.

1 Like

It is a good day to type.

4 Likes

I’m getting increasingly painful rsi.

I think it’s from writing an an e-ink tablet. I had set up a usb keyboard and a stand, but I still had to reach for the @#%%^ touchscreen to add footnotes, add and edit tables, save, etc.

I am still trying to figure out my options.

Anyway, there’s a series of fancy writing devices called the “Freewrite,” but they’re oriented around the designers’ ideal of “distraction-free writing,” and positively hostile to note-taking and revision. The original version doesn’t let people go back to add or edit anything. The next version has a deliberately difficult 2-handed workaround.

So a lot of reviewers are recommending the AlphaSmart series from the 1990s as a better alternative for note-taking. Or even Tandy and TRS devices.

3 Likes

https://imgur.com/gallery/k4zvjge

4 Likes

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/fisher-price-toy-telephone-calls-36993295?fbclid=IwAR027vREP0KXqI_7A-H38QwL_Pql2gfXFzRCqFKMODcb1bKhALoEK9WPSGg

4 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Options for SMS/texting without a Smartphone?