Our Felonious Ex-President

The Oz right were playing with that one half a year ago.

Dutton may be the new Oz PM in a day or two, BTW.

6 Likes
8 Likes

Might be time for another revolution then.

Or possibly split the country. Texas and the south can setup their own little “Christian” paradise while the rest of us work on making the country an actual democracy again.

2 Likes

Problem with that is that the split is more by neighbourhood than by state.

Why would you want Austin as part of the “Christian paradise,” or Powhatan County, Virginia in the “rest of the country?”

Splitting the country won’t fix the problem, it’d just make it into a bunch of smaller instances of the same problem.

5 Likes

yeah it would…

time to move underground…

1 Like

9 Likes

The red/blue state thing is a lie enforced by artificial state boundary lines and the Electoral College, further complicated by gerrymandering, race and class-based disenfranchisement of likely Democratic voters in some areas, and so forth.

I’m really sick and tired and angry at even joking suggestions that the US should be divided into good and evil halves (or more likely, three pieces). There are approximately a thousand more constructive changes that could be made.

8 Likes

“…and by revolution, I mean you feeding me. I have been oppressed for TOO LONG! My dish has been down to half-full for TEN MINUTES now!”

7 Likes

It is a supremacist idea, that one group shall win over all others in this little spot. I’m also sick of hearing that shit.

1 Like

Exactly!!!

• all cats forever.
3 Likes

Okay. Such as?

I’m curious what could actually help.

A general strike, asking for an actual social safety net?

6 Likes

I debated putting this in the “Random Silly Grins” topic . . .

7 Likes

Yeah… aside from being wildly inviable and impractical, it’s highly unrealistic.

Even if every single person in any given region thought and behaved exactly the same way, such a separation would be nearly impossible to enforce and maintain.

Also, why is it that the discourse interface doesn’t recognize ‘inviable’ as a word?

6 Likes

Something about cats, I guess.

(From here)

12 Likes

I don’t know. I compared “inviable” with “nonviable” (the word I would use as an antonym for “viable”) and, while “nonviable” is the more common term, the difference is minimal.

3 Likes

Regardless of the minute difference I know that it’s an actual word.

5 Likes

Overturn Citizens’ United.
Serious campaign finance regulation.
National holiday for voting.
Automatic voter registration for all citizens.
No release of election results until the last poll has closed (presumably in Hawaii)
Rework or abolish the electoral college.
Redistrict badly gerrymandered areas.
Ranked-choice voting.
Let Puerto Rico choose statehood.
Regulate lobbying (particularly the corporate lobbyist -> elected official -> corporate lobbyist revolving door).
Term limits on Supreme Court justices.
Term limits on representatives.

Probably several more things, I’m tired and need to eat dinner.

13 Likes

All of which are relatively cheap to institute, and are definitely actionable.

5 Likes

Abolish rotten burroughs. Would require constitutional amendment, which would require persuading 38 states to abolish their current advantages, but there has to be a way.
Establish that the president is not a king and does not hold monarchial powers unless specifically granted. Including immunity from prosecution.
Strengthen the 14th Amendment.
Allow statistical evidence of bias.
Allow statewide gerrymandering lawsuits, contra the Republican-held supreme court.
Allow disproportionate burden challenges to laws which hurt poor people and/or marginalized people, or restrict benefits to rich people and/or abled people. No laws criminaling the homeless, no laws containing donut holes or work requirements.
Charges against individual government officials would still require guilt “beyond a reasonable doubt,” but charges against whole agencies could use the preponderence of evidence, like civil lawsuits.

5 Likes