Our Felonious Ex-President

Not directly the president, but a sign of the times…

The obvious comparison has been made (many, many times):

Although, given the name the private force is using (V.I.P.E.R.S.) I’m surprised there’s not much mention of:

or:

9 Likes
4 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/hillary-clinton-mueller-documented-a-serious-crime-against-all-americans-heres-how-to-respond/2019/04/24/1e8f7e16-66b7-11e9-82ba-fcfeff232e8f_story.html

5 Likes

I’m not saying it’s impossible to have both the messages of “we need to cast aside party allegiances and do what’s best for the country” and “there’s one party that’s trying to make things better and one that’s not” in the same opinion piece without being contradictory…

…but it’s extremely difficult, and that particular piece didn’t accomplish it very well.

The overall message comes across as “the Republicans are the ones who need to put party and political considerations aside and join with the Democrats on this, because the Democrats are the good guys.” Which, okay, I can see Clinton actually believing that, but it’s not a goal that this op-ed will help to accomplish: to a Republican, it will come across as condescending.

Not that I don’t think that Republicans absolutely deserve to be condescended to. It’s just that if the goal is, as stated, to win over/put pressure on/get cooperation from Republicans in the months ahead, condescension probably won’t help accomplish that.

6 Likes
10 Likes

So… here’s my thing: if Trump doesn’t feel obliged to listen to the people he’s supposed to listen to and follow the rules he’s supposed to follow, why the fuck are people still listening to him?

10 Likes

I think the answer may be to start defunding the administration, But I doubt the Senate will cooperate.

8 Likes

They’ll say oversight is a coup plot.

Of course decades of court-packing, aggressive gerrymandering, Shelby, election rigging, and now likely census-rigging sure look like a coup plot.

6 Likes

When you’re used to being obeyed unquestioningly, democratic oversight feels like tyranny.

12 Likes

I hear you. But she knows what she’s talking about, and she’s not wrong.

6 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with what she’s saying: I’m just noting that her entreaties to Republicans to discard partisanship are unlikely to bear fruit, given the explicitly partisan nature of the op-ed.

Not that they would have borne fruit anyway; as she indeed notes herself, with her as the messenger, it’s likely that any requests she made to Republicans, no matter how logical and well-argued, would be spurned.

6 Likes

I’d say that any request made by anyone who isn’t a card-carrying Republican would be spurned.

5 Likes

Perhaps, but it seems to me that there’s a difference, in intensity if not in type, between the derision that they direct towards Democrats in general and the unadulterated loathing that they direct at Hillary Clinton.

6 Likes

That’s a good point. Hillary is their Sauron.

4 Likes

They’re ignoring those people, too. Lots of public defections from people who’ve been forefront in the party for decades. It’s like they simply don’t exist anymore, in right wing media.

7 Likes

I’ll believe it when I see it.

3 Likes

9 Likes

It wouldn’t be nearly so bad if they at least bothered to flush first…

7 Likes
14 Likes

It’s coup! Just more coup! Huuuge coup. Fake news and real coups. /s

8 Likes