3 Likes

I’ll bet he was going to do it anyway.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Impeach this stupid motherfucker.

9 Likes

And now you have President Pence.

3 Likes

Well, not necessarily. Removal doesn’t have to follow impeachment. I don’t think Trump would do a Nixon and resign to avoid being removed. I’ve seen an article going around about Republicans having not heard that the Mueller report was anything other than a glowing vindication. This might be the only way to break the stranglehold with folks who approve of Trump juuuust enough to cast a vote for him. Or at least depress his turnout.

But I’m also not all that afraid of President Pence. He doesn’t have the cult of personality Trump does.

5 Likes

And, he’s already getting everything he wants, anyway. That’s the only part of the Administration that is working according to plan.

4 Likes

I like to follow the historical reconsideration of Andrew Johnson, as too much of his legacy is bound up in this damnable 1950’s “spirit of comity”…
from the American Experience, which I suppose you can call the conventional view.

Many of them were impressed with Johnson’s good behavior during the trial. Johnson also took action to save himself. He promised to enforce the Reconstruction Acts and to give no more speeches attacking Congress. He also appointed a man well liked by most Republicans, General John M. Schofield, as the new Secretary of War.

From The New Republic

In May 1868, following an exhausting eleven-week trial, the Senate acquitted Andrew Johnson—by a single vote. Newly emboldened, he issued a blanket pardon to anyone who had taken part in “the late insurrection” and even restored their property—not including former slaves, of course. But the Democrats, who had stood by him during the ordeal of impeachment, rebuffed his bid to win their presidential nomination. They knew that a rageful Southerner who had barely retained his office would have won few if any Northern states competing against Ulysses Grant, the military hero who had recently become a Republican.

yeah. blanket pardons for traitors sure sounds like “good behavior”.

8 Likes

While I don’t disagree with the thrust of your post, a minor nitpick:

Treason against the United States was by far the least of the Confederacy’s crimes.

From a radical perspective, you could argue that it was the one thing they did that was somewhat defensible. The liberal focus on Confederate treason is itself bound up in a worldview of unwarranted American exceptionalism.

Remember that Indigenous resistance to genocide was also “treason against the United States”. So were the actions of John Brown and Denmark Vesey.

3 Likes

:confused:
You do realize that this amounts to a radical defense of slavery.

explains, in part why Johnson’s policies were so despised by the Radical Republican faction.

2 Likes

And a nitpick to your nitpick:

Treason is punishable by death. We have ample evidence that all of the leaders and soldiers of the Confederate States of America declared war on the U.S. and fought and killed Union soldiers as part of that action.

Only one person was put to death for their role in the Confederacy: the leader of the infamous Andersonville POW camp. That’s it. Most of the leaders, in fact, were given back all of their lands and property (minus the slaves, of course). So, being guilty of treason wasn’t really a big deal, apparently.

7 Likes

Nope.

Slavery was a monstrous crime, the perpetrators of which should have been harshly punished. Which is a group that also includes a large number of Northerners (remember that the Emancipation Proclamation did not apply to slaves held in the North), and pretty much all of the founding fathers.

The short version of my argument is more along the lines of “treason against the United States is good, actually”.

I view the Confederacy as closely equivalent to Nazi Germany. But I view the 19th Century United States as only a marginally lesser evil.

8 Likes
4 Likes

nlwzdj4qj4431

8 Likes

Jason Momoa was there?

5 Likes

Possibly. Namor would have removed Trump’s spine and left it at that.

3 Likes

He has one?

5 Likes

It’s crooked and doesn’t really function as one, but it’s there.

4 Likes

How else does his ass send instructions to his mouth, to speak, and hands, to tweet?

6 Likes

I thought it was just serious blockage at his nether end, so that everything backs up towards his mouth.

10 Likes