Our Felonious Ex-President

Speaking to BBC Kiev correspondent Jonah Fisher, Mr Lutsenko - who succeeded Mr Shokin and stood down last month - said there was no plan to open the investigation into Burisma, and that any investigation into Hunter Biden would have to start in the US.

“It is the jurisdiction of the US,” he said, adding that any “possible embezzlement” at Burisma “happened two or three years before Hunter Biden became a member of the board”.

7 Likes

John Solomon is the guy most identified with the Ukraine Conspiracy theory. Here’s a takedown of the newspaper he ran until recently

One of the strangest phenomena is that so many people seem to have full-time jobs in “advocacy,” which is a Beltway term for undisclosed lobbying, churning out total nonsense that is micro-targeted at an audience of the hundreds or dozens of other Beltway suits who control the levers of policy. Does any of this actually work, you might wonder? Is it a good use of their clients’ money, for these people to spend their entire, well-paid work day at their “public affairs” firms doing things like creating Twitter accounts for fake grassroots campaigns, or ghostwriting editorials for some other schmuck to attach their byline?

It is that last part that seems to fuel a significant portion of opinion pieces at The Hill , a newspaper and website that very important Beltway people mostly read for news from inside the grim machinery of our government, and which has drawn in a large audience beyond that crowd thanks to its laissez-faire approach to breaking news aggregation—the faster (and more useless) the better. These stories tell us important facts like, for example, that anonymous Democratic staffers and members of Congress are mad at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, or Have Concerns about Medicare for All. But its opinion section is even more egregiously attuned to the interests and concerns of whoever happens to have the most money to spend. It is a dumping ground for whichever policymaker, think tank lanyard, or corporate CEO might want to publish some poorly-written—and self-serving—dreck about public policy that day.

3 Likes

I like it. It’s got a very Tom-Stoppard-esque quality to it.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Alarmed but not surprised, I bet.

6 Likes

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/09/28/mitch-mcconnell-trump-impeachment-007689

Given the fact that, for the Clinton impeachment, the Senate had enough votes to outright acquit the President (50+ votes to dismiss charges), and the fact that there are 53 Republicans in the Senate…

It sounds like Mitch is legitimately worried about how some of his Republican colleagues are going to vote. After all, an acquittal is much better PR than a refusal to put a person on trial in the first place, so it stands to reason that you’d want to hold the trial and get the not-guilty verdict if you can manage it. If Mitch thinks he can’t manage that…

6 Likes
5 Likes

The amount of surprise I am experiencing at this revelation:

No, wait, that didn’t work. Magnify 100x:

Nope, still not visible. Let’s zoom in all the way to 1,000,000x:

There it is.

8 Likes

So, if Trump goes down and takes his entire Administration with him, guess who gets to be POTUS?

Nancy Pelosi. A darned ironic and apropos way for the USA to get its first woman POTUS!

(it would only be till November and she knows how the gummint works.)

10 Likes

You’d have to impeach Pence before Pence could nominate a new VP and have the House and Senate confirm the nomination.

…Even in the unlikely scenario where twenty Republican Senators are willing to vote to impeach Trump, I can’t see the same happening for Pence, especially not until the vacancy in the office of VP is filled.

And I think it would be until January 2021, when the President-elect from Nov 2020 takes office.

7 Likes

He’s already thrown Pence under the bus, saying they should listen to HIS conversations with the Ukrainian president…

DON’T SPOIL MY DELUSION, lol…and yeah, I thought about adding the “technically…” but what is actual truth and what people hold in regard are quite often different things.

8 Likes

It would only be till November but at least she knows how the gummint works.

6 Likes

At this point I doubt that Teddy Roosevelt or Abraham Lincoln could get confirmed by both the House and the Senate, so there’s that.

5 Likes

but at least SHE

3 Likes

I just felt like putting this in here; and at least it got the GOP-favored Chicago Tribune incorrect headline correctly:

5 Likes

Ike. I bet Ike or Ronnie would get it.

Even if they were zombies or ghouls or something like that.

3 Likes

Ronnie was a zombie. Ike probably not.

4 Likes
5 Likes

That’s fabulous.

3 Likes
5 Likes