Our Felonious Ex-President

That might have been true before the birther bullshit, but turnip broke that tradition in an enormous way. He opened that door, and I hope the disrespect of the people of the world somehow manages to permeate into his addled old brain.

At this point, people have a lot of reverence for presidents of their own party, but only enmity for presidents of the other party. It’s amazingly short sighted, but it didn’t start with the current occupant. It started with Newt Gingrich, may he burn in hell.

6 Likes

Didn’t Abbie Hoffman get arrested for wearing something like that? I think it was a pair of shorts in his case.

3 Likes

It’s only right wingers who are legally allowed to show their patriotism by going against the flag code, duh!

8 Likes

Now, now the brits had a king and queen to fawn over.

2 Likes

Hot dog!

Point of order. Wallis was never a queen.

3 Likes

Off topic, but they were a pair of twits.

3 Likes

Much worse than that, if the Crown is to be believed.

4 Likes

I was being polite, old man.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Mr Nadler said in a statement that he had written to Mr Trump inviting him to the hearing next month.

“At base, the president has a choice to make,” Mr Nadler said. "He can take this opportunity to be represented in the impeachment hearings, or he can stop complaining about the process.

“I hope that he chooses to participate in the inquiry, directly or through counsel, as other presidents have done before him.”

5 Likes
5 Likes

What the fuck are “we” supposedly trying to change the name TO though?

I meant there is a ton of racist bullshit associated but we USians will never endanger the only four day holiday some workers get all year. Plus eating food with people you love is important, even more important that eating food with people you’re related to, though it’s nice when they overlap.

8 Likes

This is a good description of Canadian Thanksgiving, and of harvest festivals everywhere.

Hard to argue with a harvest festival. Everybody eats one way or another.

The issue is with the happy sharing pilgrims and the happy generous Indigenous people, which isn’t how things happened at all.

And there is a grain of truth about left-wing people sounding like they want to throw it all out, which is what Fox have seized upon.

I don’t know. Promote it as a harvest festival? Keep pushing the good stuff and make the pilgrims passé?

5 Likes

I think it’s even worse than that: Fox has fixated on Native Americans referring to it as a National Day of Mourning. How dare the Natives take the spotlight off the British colonists, where it rightfully belongs?

6 Likes

I think the issue is that Fox is trying to exaggerate thought experiments, satire, and fringe positions to the level of liberal dogma, A parallel can found in how televangelists who say stupid things often find themselves highlighted by media matters for America.

That shouldn’t be the end of the analysis, though. A critical thinker must consider both the speaker, and the purported harms of such a message.

A televangelist with an audience in the hundreds of thousands urging his followers to commit violence is different than an assistant professor urging a few dozen readers to critically examine a hoiliday tradition. The parallel appeals only to the paranoid centrist and to the delusional partisan.

“Because I eat babies, it stands to reason that other people eat babies too. People on both sides eat babies.”

6 Likes

Cheeto is so dumb I bet he believes this, (unlike the liars at Faux News, who probably know it’s bullshit.)

4 Likes

Fox is conflating “liberals” with radical anti-imperialists, who are the only ones currently denouncing Thanksgiving as an institution

I’LL SAY THIS: We don’t need an extra holiday between Halloween and the Solstice, and if we’re going to have an annual ritual of traveling long distances to be with family it should be in a month with better traveling weather

7 Likes

It’s been quite a while since I’ve read Emerson (it was, of course, for a class), but I can’t tell whether the author is being serious, or merely displaying a sophomoric understanding for effect.

3 Likes

How can anyone be “authentic” if they lie all the time, even to themselves?

8 Likes