Our Felonious Ex-President

1 Like

This made me and my brother think about our dad and how he’d react to this disaster: He and his buddies would be all for that!

5 Likes

on the other hand.

not that public release was ever in the cards.

3 Likes
4 Likes

The title of this is misleading. It’s mostly about Trump and the Senate report.

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

I just posted something in another thread that mentions this in passing, as being of a piece with the fascist/cult mechanism of overwhelming people to break them down so that they can’t fight against the message anymore:

5 Likes

Isn’t that how people in sales work? Especially the shady ones.

4 Likes

This type of chaotic emotional swing is how abusers work. It creates a very strong bond.

5 Likes

Alexandra Petri’s ‘review’ of the RNC (text copied for those who have hit the limit for WaPo articles):

I am supposed to be writing about the Republican National Convention, but I’d like to submit this review instead; the content is essentially the same.

What a grand party! A delicious five-course meal! Dr. Hannibal Lecter surged from triumph to triumph.

With his showman’s flair, Dr. Lecter really crafted a striking contrast to the other party, where he reports that things are going very badly. He made a wonderful dish with fava beans and a nice chianti. Weird that the census in this neighborhood seems to have stopped for some reason, but I’m sure it had nothing to do with Dr. Lecter.

It is not my job to say whether what was happening should have been happening, or if there was anything in the feast to be concerned about, so I am here to tell you that everything Hannibal Lecter served looked AMAZING. This is the kind of uplifting meal that this nation has long been waiting for, and it was a sumptuous repast in every way, a striking contrast to the other dinners I’ve sat through, full of empty chairs, where people said in ominous tones that they were losing loved ones and didn’t know when the carnage would stop.

Throughout the dinner, Dr. Lecter made wonderful, uplifting remarks, like “This is lamb’s kidney,” and “This is beef heart,” and “I have an ethical butcher” — and it was not my job to evaluate any of those claims. What I can evaluate is the wine selection, and it was INCREDIBLE! It was even aged in a “special barrel," which Dr. Lecter said with a laugh that some critics have described as sinister.

Have I heard that Dr. Lecter kills and eats people? Yes. But at the party I attended, Dr. Lecter denounced people who seek to eat human flesh as monsters. Also, Dr. Lecter welcomed more than a dozen guests and DID NOT EAT ANY OF THEM! What an optimistic vision, the thing the country is craving right now.

I hate a sad party, and the other dinner parties I’ve attended recently were all remote, because they say it is not safe to go out in the night because of some sort of man on the loose who hunts fellow humans in a transparent plastic raincoat. At Dr. Lecter’s dinner party, I felt as though none of that was happening! You know, maybe it’s — not? I would sure prefer to think it wasn’t!

Is it my responsibility to be at all skeptical about anything that is happening? I don’t think so. The takeaway from this meal was clear: It was gorgeously plated. The sauce was drizzled into a beautiful arc, like the curve of a pheasant’s wing; the chiaroscuro effect of the lighting made Dr. Lecter’s cheekbones really pop. The soup was incredible, a rich maroon color, and the roast, which made an alarming screaming sound during the final stages of its being put into the oven, came out lovely and crisp.

How nice it is to attend a party where you can forget about all the death that is happening, and be reassured that you are not feasting on human flesh. Technically, it is not legal to eat human flesh, and I of course frown on it, but we can all agree that it’s a big bummer if someone shows up at your dinner party and says it has to stop because it is a crime scene.

This is a man who knows how to live. The how of the meal is so much more important than the what , which, again, I am assured was pork, even though he did say some kind of suspicious things about how the pork “had been rude” and “played the flute badly.” I don’t need to follow up. Not my job to disapprove!

I know for a fact that no matter what, millions of Americans will want to have what he’s having.

8 Likes

My favorite part of the Republican 2020 platform is:

The President has been regulating to death a free market economy that he does not like and does not understand. He defies the laws of the United States by refusing to enforce those with which he does not agree. And he appoints judges who legislate from the bench rather than apply the law.

We, as Republicans and Americans, cannot allow this to continue. That is why the many sections of this platform affirm our trust in the people, our faith in their judgment, and our determination to help them take back their country.This means removing the power from unelected, unaccountable government.

And ‘any motion to amend that or adopt a new platform will be ruled out of order’. :rofl:

9 Likes

Who knows. In fifty years his burgeoning self awareness might lead to an apology.

Heh.

2 Likes

Remember the old funk song, “Flashlight”? It needs to be parodied, ala “Gas-light”.

…working on it.

1 Like

In what appears to be one of their first major tangible actions, the league has announced that every city with a franchise will see out a way to convert that franchise’s arena into a voting hub for the 2020 General Election. If for some reason an organization cannot accomplish that, then that organization will find some way to use their facility to help with the election – whether it be aiding in voter registration or ballot receiving. Over the past couple of months, this idea has gained plenty of traction across sports. The Los Angeles Dodgers have already announced they will use Dodger Stadium as a voting location, and the Atlanta Hawks are already one NBA team that has made the same decision.

13 Likes
1 Like

And they’re wearing masks too! :mask: