Our Felonious Ex-President

Do rabbits have some right-wing symbolism I am unaware of?

2 Likes

I have no idea!

Edit: Though I do wonder if they went bunny because whey they tried puppy it just made him look so small. Or maybe it does mean something, I’m not plugged in to white supremacy and maga-fied hate.

3 Likes

Being afraid comes to mind.

4 Likes

The more stories I hear J. D. Vance tell about his grandmother, the more sure I am that she was a paranoid mass-murderer.

2 Likes

The more I think he’s a pathological liar.

6 Likes

6 Likes

On the subject of January 6th and the question “will Trump’s followers ever admit the election wasn’t stolen?” Consider this: The far-right in France still thinks Alfred Dreyfus was guilty of treason, despite the passing of 130 years and NO EVIDENCE ever being presented in court.

8 Likes

Yeah, that sort of blindness is endemic to all humans.

As an aside, has there ever been a historical fact-fic film about the Dreyfus affair? There’s enough there for a one-season TV series, too. (John Goodman as Jean Jaures!)

3 Likes

This one, tangentially.

3 Likes

I mean, in the South, I was brought up, in my “liberal” school, to believe that the Civil War was all about States Rights. And that Christopher Columbus was some kind of hero instead of the most sick, twisted son of a bitch that ever lived.

We all love our delusions.

6 Likes

I too was brought up in the south with the “States’ Rights” bit.

But actually, it’s not entirely wrong. The Missouri Compromise and Bleeding Kansas and so on showed that during westward expansion, there was a significant conflict between the federal government dictating the laws of new states vs them being able to decide for themselves.

It was a real thing, as horrendous as it might seem now. It was all played out between rich people making compromises with each other, which was bound to hit an imbalance of power at some point.

I also grew up in a pretty redneck area where people were pretty local community minded and some rich outsider in a three-piece suit in a big city hundreds of miles away didn’t necessarily represent your community. So the rebel flag was flown, and they were rebelling against all that outside influence. Like the Dukes of Hazzard or Smokey and the Bandit, they were rebelling against the corrupt people in power.

Nowadays, of course, we think of it as the racist flag, and for very good reason.

But it’s worth knowing where the rebel mindset, both in the Civil War and much much later, comes from. For the average person, like a random kid drafted into the Civil War, it was much more about not wanting outsiders to control them than anything else. For the few rich plantation owners, sure it was about slavery and the economic balance of power. But not for the average person who didn’t have any slaves or any power.

And 160 years later, we still have people that don’t want to be controlled by outsiders. That’s important to keep in mind.

As for the Jan 6th traitors, they didn’t really even have that to go on. They should just sit in jail as long as it takes for them to understand that. But it’s worth understanding that they might not see it that way. Because if we don’t understand our enemy, that’s also dangerous.

4 Likes

Yeah, Zola did write “J’accuse!”, but this film’s about more than that.

And I’ve not caught that one, nor Disraeli. I 'spect I should someday.

See, this makes me think of Truman because he wasn’t an outsider. He’d been a farmer himself; he’d had his own business w/a partner and it failed; he paid off his debts instead of taking bankruptcy. The only thing that truly pissed off his fellow Southerners is he didn’t like Black troops being treated like shit. And that’s how the Dixiecrats came about, w/Strom Thurmond as their standard bearer.

4 Likes

The potatoes provided are Idahoan brand…a red state, tee hee!

Addendum:

3 Likes

Just a reminder that this election in the US is part of a larger game.

7 Likes

The tip of the spear always seems pretty close at/to hand though.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Microsoft’s Threat Analysis Center (MTAC) said that the campaign was sent a spear phishing email – a message designed to look trustworthy in order to get the target to click on a malicious link.

Uh… I would be absolutely shocked if they hadn’t been sent at least one, probably loads, of this kind of email. But, oddly, I’m not seeing anything in this article that claims that the attempt was successful, or that it was in any way related to the file that was leaked…

7 Likes

If you didn’t already know:

8 Likes

Is that about 2.53 lies per minute?

6 Likes