Our Felonious Ex-President

I don’t know about more unfit, but there are contenders:

tenor (7):

6 Likes

Ethanol.

Unfortunately, if you drink it, you will lose life expectancy, not gain it.

2 Likes

OK, I can’t find this guy by searching. Can you provide more data?

Berlusconi.

6 Likes

Trump makes Bear Lose Coney look like a fucking genius by comparison.

5 Likes

Idi Amin, maybe?

4 Likes

Mugabe? Gaddhafi?

I’m sensing a pattern here.

5 Likes

Sometimes experience is more important than mental agility. The thing is, Trump despite his age is possibly the most inexperienced actual elected head of state ever. I mean, there have been infant kings, there have been mad kings, but generally even they have had some education in what the job entails before they actually start governing. Trump has literally gone from actor in a fictionalised business program to President with no political experience in between.
But personally I’d institute a “retire at 70” law for all these jobs.

Give you that one.

Mugabe was pretty smart in the context of African tribal politics. I don’t see much difference between him and, say, the Rev. Ian Paisley, or Roy Moore. All three adapted to their environments (but of course so is a tapeworm).

Qadhafi - eccentric but again forged in a hard school.

I used to work with someone who was a personal friend of Mubarak. He had a very high opinion of Mubarak, but basically what went wrong was the old man syndrome. People who cling on to power too long go mad. People forgot that he had once been a reforming, dynamic leader who did a lot to improve Egypt.

10 Likes

Depends how you define unfit.

Trump’s incompetence is a major advantage over Berlusconi, who was competent about staying in power, or Hitler and Stalin, who were competent at getting other people killed first.

7 Likes

Well…
Hitler’s incompetence functioned on several levels.
First, he attacked the Jews when, if he had got the German Jewish population onside, he was more likely to (a) have won a war and (b) kept the US out of it.
Second, he promoted people who were unfit for their jobs such as Himmler and Bormann.
Third, he allowed his NCO dislike for the officer class to mismanage the war.
Fourth, he opened a war on two fronts even though he knew this was a mistake.

A really competent Hitler could have created a European empire that would have avoided war with the US and perhaps even Britain before going on to conquer the Soviet Union.
Incompetent Hitler left in excess of forty million dead and Europe in ruins.

Given Trump’s military role, that is why his incompetence is so worrying.

For an example of a competent dictator, consider Stroessner in Paraguay. Although his régime was pretty horrible it was actually an improvement over what went before. His death figures were in the thousands, quite a lot for a small country, but nothing compared to what the democratic US inflicted on foreign countries over the same period. If he had been an incompetent dictator, like some of his predecessors, he’d almost certainly have started a disastrous war with his neighbours instead of building lots of infrastructure.

6 Likes

It’s an advantage? How do you mean?

It’s an advantage for everyone who isn’t Trump, which I think includes everyone here.

2 Likes
8 Likes

DJT from the linked NYT:

“Can’t say things that are false, knowingly false, and be able to smile as money pours into your bank account. We are going to take a very, very strong look at that, and I think what the American people want to see is fairness.”

I’m pretty sure Mexicans can sue Trump under his proposed defamation laws.

Edited

4 Likes

I have a strobe sensitivity and other sensory processing issues. I often get beaten and endangered. I think ableist slurs contribute to the reckless indifference towards disabled people’s human rights and lives. So please don’t use these slurs, okay?

4 Likes

At least he hasn’t, yet, threatened to eat Hillary.

2 Likes

#IAMTRUMP! #MAGA!

…sorry…

1 Like

7 Likes

This stuff just never ends!

“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to African countries and Haiti. He then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met Wednesday.

Because those of us who live in the non-shithole countries don’t WANT to come there? I moved here, in part, to get away from this lunatic.

14 Likes

https://twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/951582992119549959

11 Likes