Our Felonious Ex-President

Don’t you find the focus on Russia in that story a little weird?

A hyper-wealthy American fascist (Sinclair) arranged for fascist propaganda to air on American TV channels. The employment history of the producer is not the main story here.

RT America is a station that employs a large number of producers and reporters, most of whom are not Russian and have no noticeable allegiance to the Putin regime. Yes, RT is used to spread Russian state influence, but it mostly does so indirectly.

5 Likes

To me, it seems to be more along the lines of contributory evidence than the main story. YMNV.

2 Likes

The breathtaking stupidity, it burns…

2 Likes

This…is not a joke, and I wish it was.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-declares-april-sexual-assault-prevention-month/ar-AAvipVV

3 Likes

Papadoupolis claims Sessions asked him to find out about hacked emails…

1 Like

Oh, and now Trump wants to introduce quotas for immigration judges.

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/04/04/a-fierce-opponent-of-the-endangered-species-act-is-picked-to-oversee-interiors-wildlife-policy/?utm_term=.c4028a7abf7a

4 Likes

(Longer article that includes more of the man’s remarks, but with WaPo’s paywall:)

So many things wrong in this situation.

6 Likes

Right! Every Southerner knows - you don’t say that in PUBLIC.

6 Likes

At this point, anyone who does use that slur has no excuse of “that’s how we talked where I was raised”. If they use it, it means that’s how they think, NOW, not historically.

10 Likes

Madeleine Albright has weighed in on Trump, in a NYT op-ed piece:

Final paragraph is as folksy as I’ve ever seen her:

To me, greatness goes a little deeper than how much marble we put in our hotel lobbies and whether we have a Soviet-style military parade. America at its best is a place where people from a multitude of backgrounds work together to safeguard the rights and enrich the lives of all. That’s the example we have always aspired to set and the model people around the world hunger to see. And no politician, not even one in the Oval Office, should be allowed to tarnish that dream.

5 Likes

If freedom is to prevail over the many challenges to it, American leadership is urgently required.

Gah. No. No, no, no, no, NO.

That, combined with the remark about Syria and al-Assad, make me suspect the author has an interventionalist point of view.

Yes, the USA needs to get its shit together and become more democratic. It needs to cooperate with other countries and participate in the United Nations.

But if the US is going to lead the world into freedom, it should only be by example. Too many deaths have already been attributed to America trying to export “freedom” (in the forms of bullets and bombs).

7 Likes

Totally agree with you. We are talking about the former Secretary of State, after all. But if you read what she wrote up to that point, she was making a more inclusive connection between the U.S. and other countries working together than it seems in that conclusion.

3 Likes

I don’t suspect her interventionist views, I’m sure of it. After all, for her 500,000 dead Iraqi children means “the price is worth it,” whatever “it” is.

8 Likes

Way more than just that, though…

• Confederate History Month
  • “son” (said to the objecting board member)
  • “My skin is white, my neck is red, and I was born in Southern bed. Nothing wrong with that. I hope that doesn’t offend anybody.”
  • “Johnson then went on to talk about […] the Civil War and his Scottish heritage

And, for the obvious evidence that he lives an oblivious life…

• “I’m no longer white trash”

And then you get into the assertions that the Civil War wasn’t about slavery, which just… *sigh*

9 Likes

I think, right now, the presence of American troops limits Erdogan’s aggressiveness. Not enough. But more than the withdrawal of American troops would.

2 Likes

The online left is predictably unimpressed by that:

2 Likes

Their predictions were a year early, but spot on (the “ISIS families” one is particularly timely).

2 Likes

I prefer to see it as one more example of people who used to be considered far right now realizing how messed up we’ve gotten and are finally starting to move to the other side.

4 Likes
4 Likes