Our Felonious Ex-President

I think we really undersell the degree to which Trump is a typical Republican, just more vulgar and with less respect for institution and tradition. I often see the sentiment of Republicans being all talk on saying they think the president is a shit, but they don’t rebuke him legislatively. Well, why would they? They all want the same things.

6 Likes

I’ve been calling Trump Reagan III since the campaign. The only GOP strategy that has worked in a presidential race since Nixon has been to be an authoritarian who claims the USA is on the verge of becoming a hellhole because of brown people.

7 Likes

That lack of respect for institution really does carry its own threats, though. I would argue that Trump isn’t really typical or atypical, but represents continued development of where they have been headed. Which is to say that no, the trend isn’t new, but yes, the level it’s reached is. There are reasons to both consider him the successor of Reagan and to be even more worried about him.

11 Likes

Oh give Trump some rope and he hangs himself good.

10 Likes
5 Likes

That’s weird. I thought the big deal on this particular issue was that it alleges Trump had to pay off Daniels to prevent her talking about his affair. A non-disclosure agreement; embarrassing, but not illegal. So what was illegal about it that Cohen doesn’t want to talk about it?

Wouldn’t surprise me if Cohen did lots of other stuff that was illegal, of course.

5 Likes

The “illegal” part is that Cohen paid the money ($130K) for the NDA out of his own pocket, in campaign season, to help a candidate get elected, and didn’t disclose it as a campaign contribution.

And part of the reason he’s pleading the Fifth is to delay Stormy Daniels’ civil suit to invalidate the NDA.

7 Likes

Ah, right – and I see why the delay now. Thanks.

2 Likes

I’m 37 weeks pregnant, laying on my couch like a beached whale mainlining this garbage and I feel awful about it. But I can’t stop.

I wonder what this would mean for Evangelical and Catholic support. My guess is nothing, though I’m aware I base that on some not very charitable assumptions.

7 Likes

No, you’re right. All the research points to the fact that the Evangelical and Catholic support for anti-choice issues is recent history (late 1970s) and due more to fear of losing white supremacy than actual concern about life. They’re known to pay for abortions when anyone in their circle “needs” one. This isn’t out of character for them.

6 Likes

Fantabulous skewering:

4 Likes

And we know Trump’s thoughts on what that means…

For Canadians, the “Cohen pleading the Fifth” part starts at about 10:30:

https://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/Shows/TheDailyShow?vid=1374815

1 Like
4 Likes

Oh, no, we may get an infestation of French borers. Of course, we’ll have to rename them “Freedom” borers.

1 Like
2 Likes

But now, incredibly enough, a bipartisan group of six lawmakers, led by Sens. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., and Tim Kaine, D-Va.

Your alternate-universe vice-president, everyone!

6 Likes

“If God had wanted us to vote, …”

3 Likes
2 Likes

Fixed that, etc.

5 Likes