Piercing the Veil

This is so weird… my dad was describing this strip to me less than an hour ago.

And it’s as beautiful as he said it was.

Who’s cutting onions?

10 Likes

Reminds me of the Hindu tale of Yudhishthira and his dog.

5 Likes

I don’t know where else to put this.

I’m finishing off the last assignment for the last course for my UI/UX certificate (it’s due tonight at midnight, but it’s soooo close now). The task at this point is to render the sketches I made earlier into an interactive prototype. I have three main screens (~9 variations) to go now.

Before dinner I did some fixing up because I found some broken links from the work I did Sunday. Then I had dinner, watched the latest Doctor Who, and put some things that were stored in my car into my locker in the building’s basement.

I just came back upstairs, and after a quick bathroom break sat down at the computer… to find “000000” written in large red text over the sketch I’m about to work on now. It’s definitely not part of the design, and it certain wasn’t there when I left.

Also, I’ve been clicking around my sketches to find out the positioning co-ordinates for various screen elements so I can copy them exactly in the prototype. So I definitely would have had the pointer tool selected in the sketch software, not the text tool. And when I noticed the red text, the object was in object select, not text select.

Nothing has those co-ordinates (it would be 0 0 anyway), and I haven’t coloured anything black (hex #000000) lately.

So either I just randomly typed “000000” and… forgot about it?.. or something else happened.

I’m going to push this down now, because I really need to get this assignment handed in, but I’m rather creeped out at the moment.

8 Likes

A typical keyboard has a 0 right near the bottom of the numeric keypad. Could you or a pet have pressed that accidentally?

That happened to me at work in 2007 when we moved to a new building. The desks were totally different from what I was used to, and I had to build up the level of my mouse pad with foam to make it comfortable. For a year, I had random dialogs open by themselves, menus clicked, returns entered into text, and so on, and I could NOT track it down. I tried everything I could think of, even an anti-static mat. I complained to everyone about electrical interference. It was hopeless. That is, until I discovered the elevated mouse pad was occasionally hitting the extra enter key on the numeric keypad.

Embarrassment level 5.

10 Likes

It would have had to be a T (for the text tool) and then the 0s. If I’d had text selected anyhow, I wouldn’t have even mentioned it, because yeah, it’s very easy to press the number pad 0 without meaning to.

It was so nicely centred, too. As if someone had placed it carefully.

I’m sure it’s something like what you described, but you know.

(I don’t have any pets now, but I used to have a cat, so I am familiar with pet edits :slight_smile: ).

6 Likes

OK, that’s weird.

6 Likes

An old-school ghost who is more used to the old typewriters where 0 and O were interchangeable?

Trying for OooOOo?

Or are you just subconsciously really excited for Black Friday sales?

8 Likes

I’m definitely excited to be finishing off this course!

And a bit sad, too, because it’s been a great programme and I’ve been taking courses in it since January. But mostly excited.

7 Likes

On the plus side time for something new.

4 Likes

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2019/02/25/39277352/marie-kondo-introduces-the-us-to-panpsychism

5 Likes