Portland Heat Wave Apocalypse

$ forecast
EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING
RED FLAG WARNING
TUESDAY: Sunny and hot, with a high near 99. Light north wind becoming
   north northwest 6 to 11 mph in the morning.
WEDNESDAY: Sunny and hot, with a high near 105. Northeast wind 5 to
   10 mph.
THURSDAY: Sunny and hot, with a high near 105.
FRIDAY: Sunny and hot, with a high near 100.
SATURDAY: Sunny, with a high near 93.
SUNDAY: Sunny, with a high near 89.
MONDAY: Sunny, with a high near 88.
2 Likes

This is what passes for heat wave apocalypse in the PNW?

2 Likes

99 and 100 is pretty hot. And the PNW is a rain forest, so I bet it’s incredibly humid as well. That being said, I don’t know what the average temperature is there usually.

4 Likes

Only on the coasts and it isn’t that bad in the summer which tends to be pretty dry. Portland is a fair bit inland.
I mostly have Seattle to go by but it is sometimes a bit humid but not the visceral force of solid air like St. Louis where I grew up and parts southeast of it.
Also it tends to cool back off into the 70’s at night.

2 Likes

Most of us do not have air conditioning in our houses.

10 Likes

that’s the part to pay real attention to folks.

11 Likes

100 and incredibly humid sounds like Maryland during a regular summer.

That could be a problem, especially if these houses aren’t designed to keep cool either.

4 Likes

I can’t remember it ever hitting 99 or 100 four days in a row. It makes us wonder if human life is even possible. It’s like reading that there will be a hard vacuum across the metro area this week. If it was only for one day maybe we could hold our breath.

3 Likes

http://www.kgw.com/news/heat-wave-expected-to-slow-public-transportation/460880832
http://www.kgw.com/news/local/how-to-keep-your-home-cool-during-the-heat-wave/460904788
http://www.kgw.com/money/business/stores-selling-out-of-air-conditioners-as-heat-wave-looms/460922132

1 Like

Well, I guess people have been living in the middle east for nearly forever, so they figure it out somehow. Not that 100 degrees isn’t terrible, just that people have done it and still do it, for most of that time without air conditioning.

7 Likes

Add smoke and you have Vancouver. We have both heat and air quality warnings going at the moment.

7 Likes

Whoever brought camels to Texas was way ahead of their time.

I… don’t understand. I merely was pointing out that people live in what are pretty some extreme conditions in many places around the world well before we had AC or even electric fans. People have also lived in the SW region of the modern US for a long time as well.

I also hate it when it hits the upper 90s and over 100 here. I feel @smulder’s pain, especially since our hottest months now tend to be late July through September, with August being the worst. We’ve had a pretty mild summer so far (rainier than usual) so I am expecting August and early September to be pretty hot this year.

5 Likes

And many of those civilizations where it is regularly >100F rely on camels/relied on them prior to electricity and gasoline. Rain forests don’t stay rain forests very long with long periods of hot dry weather. Good thing we have some camels in North America now.

If you think i was disagreeing in any way, that would surprise me. Implied “yes, and”

My in-laws live in the Bay Area. We left 104-degree L.A. heat for a few 78-degree days near Mendocino, then a couple of 102-degree days rafting near Sacramento, and ended up back at my in-laws’ place where they were complaining about the 93-degree heat. Come to find out, their (remarkably well-appointed and expensive) house has never had AC. Who knew? First time we’ve been there when it was noticeably hot.

5 Likes

I still don’t understand. I didn’t note anything about camels, merely that people live in extreme temperatures.

If I said something stupid or offensive, I certainly apologize.

1 Like

Camels are likely to be useful in the civilization to follow ours. It’s a good thing we have a breeding population.

I definitely changed the time frame on you there, sorry about the confusion

3 Likes

Oh. I get it now. should we start freeing them from zoos now?

And no worries. I was confused and you set met straight.

4 Likes

My 16 summers in East Asia laughs at your ruined cold brews and dirty air PNW USA and Canuckistan!

Seriously though: I could kill for a good cuppa joe.

Seriously though 2: Stay safe. Like the Wu Tang Clan that sort of weather ain’t nothing to fuck wit.

5 Likes

Let’s put it this way. The weather is sunny and hot. Whether or not we see the sun depends literally on which way the wind is blowing.

4 Likes