Portland Heat Wave Apocalypse

Meanwhile in the Atlantic Northeast (ANE?), we’re having a cold summer. Twice last week it got down to 51°F and one day we had a high of 63°F, which is 20° below average. Weird when it’s not even August yet and you need to pull out a jacket because 2 layers isn’t enough.

At least it’s not this bad: http://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/1816-year-without-a-summer/
(flipping back and forth between 100+ and snowing, with wildfires)

3 Likes

West of the Cascades, yes. Many homes (& many businesses) don’t have AC. Also worth considering is that many unhoused people are SOL as there aren’t many public cooling centers. And despite being rainy most of the year, the Puget Sound and Olympic Peninsula are generally not that humid in the summers.

5 Likes

12 Likes

Yeh, come talk to me when you don’t have seasons and anything less than 90% humidity is considered dry heat. Amateurs.

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this, and share your pain as my 109 year old house contains no ducts, thus does not have central air. Michigan summers aren’t exactly comfortable or cool in the vicinity of Detroit, it’s temperate jungle down here.

I finally bought a window unit after our son was born, so that he wouldn’t suffer.

4 Likes

Oh man it wasn’t till I was in high school that we got window units for the 1930s vintage house I grew up in and St. Louis stays warm at night. Fans while not great help with airflow. We only need one window and use the central air fan to move the cool air around the rest of the house. If it stayed in the mid to high 80s at night we would have a window AC unit instead of the box fan.

2 Likes

We’ve since also purchased one of those “portable” room conditioners for the downstairs. It’s pretty dang efficient compared to a window unit. If you succumb to the enticing thought of sleeping in a nice, cool room during a heat wave, and have double hung windows, I recommend a unit of this sort.

2 Likes

If the temps didn’t drop into the mid to low 70’s at night it would definitely be a thing that has already been purchased.

Ours didn’t either, so we improvised.

It might not look great in here, but it’s not exposed in all the rooms. This is the oldest part, in the part of the house that was built in the 50s there is enough of a crawlspace to hide the ducts.

3 Likes

heat and humidity…yuck to both

2 Likes

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/weather/why-so-much-smoke-from-b-c-fires-natures-air-conditioning-is-broken-weather-service-says/

1 Like

Oh that is what the hell I have been faintly smelling in the air. I noticed the haze this morning but didn’t think it would be from the wildfires but apparently it is.

5 Likes

http://www.kgw.com/weather/bc-wildfire-smoke-impacts-portland-air-quality-driving-haze-into-the-region/461306608

7 Likes

Sky conditions: clear

This is a lie.

6 Likes
2 Likes

It was unbelievable yesterday. I walk outside are around 5pm and I can smell the burning and the sky is this hazy overcast looking miasma. If it wasn’t 90F I would have assumed it’s winter with people burning shit.

Fuck this weather. Even with an AC running all day it’s still in the 80s in my bedroom. Fuck the builder of my condo for cheaping out on insulation especially between floors. And fuck my downstairs neighbors that don’t open their windows which makes my condo even hotter as a result of lack of ventilation. (I guess this belongs in “fuck today”.)

9 Likes

My first thought would have been vape fumes from hipsters, but smoke from wildfires works as well.

5 Likes

2 summers ago now I remember going outside and thinking there was a house or brush fire really nearby… nope it was smoke from the wild fires up in the northern part of the sate and it was strong, it made my eyes water strong and these were all like 80+ miles from Seattle proper.

5 Likes

Same for me. Started to wonder if the thermostat was broke at 80. My old little house really held the heat late into the night yesterday. I have one window AC and one portable unit in another part of the house. I can’t imagine what it would have been like without those running all day and night. :sweat:

5 Likes

Welp, you could always construct a soffit around it. :thinking:

3 Likes