Portland Heat Wave Apocalypse

It wasn’t too bad. It still cools off though late into the evening but the one window fan + the fan for the forced air heat does a great job and I slept well enough. At least I didn’t wake up from the heat and I say this as someone who once took 3 cold showers through the course of one night just to stay cool cause the residence hall only had steam heating and it was like 85 and humid enough to feel it outside at 2am. I and at least one other resident punted at 3am as a breaker for the building blew and not even power for the fans for a bit so we walked up to the Hardees which was open 24x7 to have some food, cold drinks and hang out in the AC for awhile.

3 Likes

There are all sorts of things like that, on the list for once we have a proper kitchen.

Right now, the actual kitchen is gutted and drywalled, waiting for a kitchen to be constructed in that room. We got as far as we could on the money we had, and decided we’d rather wait than go into more debt.

We’re going on 15 years of cooking in the utility room, so that’s my top priority, and where all my extra pennies go. I should have enough in savings to do the kitchen in 2018.

Someday it’ll get covered up, when we get around to removing that popcorn texture on the ceiling. That bothers me more than exposed ducts. But really? Once I’m cooking a relatively huge and new kitchen, maybe none of the rest will matter in the glow of endorphins.

9 Likes

A shiny new kitchen will definitely help distract you for a while. I was fully enamored with our new dishwasher for several months (hadn’t had one for something like 25 years), but the fact that our new kitchen is still 93-95% complete more than a year after the sink had running water, that last 5-7% is really starting to wear on my nerves.

That popcorn can come off pretty quick if you have the proper scraping tool and a handy shop vac…:smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Yes, I doesn’t get to me until it gets up into the 90’s+.

Oh man, 3am when the day temp was over 100 and the humidity is high make for some long miserable nights.

Have you been to any of the McMenamins in the PNW? They renovate old school houses and institutional buildings into hotel/restaurants which have a lot of exposed utility stuff. Rather than rip it out or hide it they embrace and enhance it with whimsical folk art.

12 Likes

Cool! I love the quasi-medieval feel.

3 Likes

Each location is a blast. Some of the larger locations have movie theaters, live music, gardens, wine tasting, multiple bars and restaurants, spas, soaking pools, art galleries,…

They all preserve as much of the original architecture as possible. One of the schools I stayed at split each class room into two rooms. The room we had was the front of the class and still had the original mounted chalk boards with much chalk supplied. Fun to see the chalk art from previous room occupants and to add to it. All the properties add a witchy/ufo/ghost vibe with the extensive hung art plus all the little details like what I posted above. I love it. Easy to spend a whole evening just walking the halls looking at art while sipping one of their beers.

https://www.mcmenamins.com/

https://www.mcmenamins.com/art

3 Likes

I have two portable ACs running (one in each bedroom) and they just can’t keep up with the heat combined with non-existent insulation between floors, and the chimney effect from being on the top floor. It’s brutal.

3 Likes

Just make sure you test for asbestos before removing it if it’s more than 30 years old. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Ugh… I’m sorry. This sucks.

3 Likes

The sky is a little more blue now. According to weather.gov it should only be 89° today.

At this point the air quality is more of a problem than the temperature. Usually after a hot spell we get a thunderstorm, but there is no precipitation in the forecast this week at all.

8 Likes

The blue is starting to show through in seattle. Shot walking to work.

9 Likes

The haze is back. My nose is running and my eyes hurt. This is not normal.

7 Likes

My eyes are always squinty in the summer. This one doesn’t seem so bad. We haven’t had the shit where it’s still 80 the next morning. Also I have freer-breathing shirts yhis year.

4 Likes

The highest overnight minimum temperature ever recorded in Portland was 74 degrees.

3 Likes

Orange moon rises in a purple sky.

1 Like

So it doesn’t happen except inside my house.

1 Like

i miss running water in the kitchen. i had a pipe spring a leak last week. i’ve sawed open the cabinets, and i’ve gotten into the wall, but the pipe goes into a pretty big ( and soaking wet ) strut. i’m not quite sure what to do next.

3 Likes

Out of a mixture of morbid curiosity and a genuine desire to see if we could help… do you think you could post a picture?

3 Likes

thanks! i’ll try. things are a little better now because i finally got the snake through to the basement. so, the pipe still drips, but it doesn’t pour water straight out.

it’s hard to get a good angle to see anything in there. one thing that’s cool is that by turning the flashlight on my phone and sticking the camera in, wigling it around, i can kinda get a view of things. i guess a mirror would do too, but i kind of wish i had a fiber scope of some sort.

my current theory is that a kitchen remodel before i bought the house moved the sink to the right. previously, this pipe went straight down. then they cut the pipe, ran a plastic pipe though a wall strut to the right to drain the sink in its new location. ( then they built cabinets with no pipe access over the whole shebang. )

it’s probably the elbow between the two pipes that’s leaking. ( and it might have been happening for a long time, it’s only when the pipe got blocked up that it became noticable. )

1 Like

I was a bit confused when I read your reply, but it’s the drain that’s leaking, not the water supply. Got it.

As for the stud the pipe goes through (also confused by you calling it a strut), unless it shows signs of rot, keep it exposed until it dries out (pointing a fan in its general direction for a week or so will help a lot). It’s not against code to have pipe enclosed by drywall/cabinets, but it’s better practice to make your piping changes below the floor instead of behind the wall so as to avoid the future you’re now experiencing. Then again, I don’t know if you have a basement or crawl space available below your kitchen. The wall may well be the only option. In that case, when you replace the pipes you’ll have the choice of screw on fittings or solvent weld fittings. In general, the screw-on fittings are thicker and can seal more securely (make sure to wrap the threads with plumbers tape).

If all else fails, call a licensed plumber. Most DIY home renovators don’t have the benefit of one party of the couple having had an adult lifetime building houses and other buildings (Mr. Kidd’s built plenty, including foundation to finish - minus electric - he won’t touch that, nor will I), and don’t know enough to do things right or even close to meeting building code.

4 Likes