Possibly untrue science news

Really more of a review than science news. But this result is fascinating, at least for me, so I wanted to share it somewhere.

medium

7 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes

That man is a national treasure.

8 Likes

Trent needs to start doing this version.

5 Likes

Only if he teams up with Carly Rae first:

:wink:

1 Like

We donā€™t even know if itā€™s an arthropod.

4 Likes

I think BANDits use the convergent evolution between shuvosaurs, poposaurs, and theropods to argue that there might just be convergent evolution between birds and non-bird theropods, but there are a lot more characters involved.

Ugh. I cannot click a like button for this.
I thought we were friends. Why would you do this to my ears? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Possibly because the two best mashups Iā€™ve heard involve Head like a Hole played against Carly Raeā€™s tracks (the other being PomDeterā€™s setting of Reznorā€™s vocals against the backing tracks of Call Me Maybe). Given how very well Reznorā€™s tune slotted in, Iā€™m not sure what that says about his songwritingā€¦

2 Likes

Ending paragraph:

B-15 will be missed. But its fans may take solace in knowing that, thanks to climate change, another ā€œlargest iceberg everā€ will probably break away soon enough.

5 Likes

More volcano news, but this is different ā€“ a round up of some of the science behind the ongoing Kilauea eruption, and what we might learn from it.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/06/10/hawaii-news/kilauea-eruption-will-fuel-volcano-research-for-years-to-come/

2 Likes

Some interesting and some unhappy science reporting today in the Atlantic:

5 Likes

(Itā€™s somewhat older than typical science news, and certainly a lot longer, but itā€™s a cool video, IMHO)

I didnā€™t know about Thorne Å»ytkow Objects before watching this.

1 Like

Migraine warning!

1 Like
3 Likes

Not herpes, per se, but viruses that get in the brain, go dormant and, in theory cause an immune response that cause amyloid plaques. Herpes has been in speculation for a while but the new stuff suggests that itā€™s more general than that.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Sexism, is there anything this shitty belief canā€™t make worse?

5 Likes

What gets me are the articles found which make fun of sufferers ā€“ and the medical journals they were found in. Like, what the everloving fuck? These people are in medical distress, for whatever reason, and your reaction is to make fun of them???

Yeah, they might have the self-diagnosis wrong. No shit. Theyā€™re patients.

The medical establishment needs to decide if they want the population to keep themselves informed and partner with them, or keep ourselves absolutely ignorant and let them decide everything. They donā€™t get it both ways.

8 Likes